Sonic 2 Hidden Palace.

Random Hero

New version: "Forbidden Memory" it is

swzd

Update 3:

Here is the latest version of this very "hard-to-finish-song".

I added some new elements, one of which gets out of hand volume wise in a few places. I also think the climax has become a little muddy so I'll have to look into that. But I am still looking for comments.

I've also come up with a couple names:

1. Forbidden Memory *

2. Forgotten Memory

What do you think?

Thanx guys

Ryan

Old posts

Like most things, this is progressing slowly. I am thinking it is about 80-90% done now.

Some questions for you:

1. Do you think I need a percussion track, standard or orchestral or otherwise?

2. Do I need to add more instrumentation to areas like 0:33 - 1:12, 3:25 - 4:10?

3. What should I call this song? (Titles usually come easy but not this time. I want a serious title, something that reflects the sadness and mystery of the melody and even the lost Hidden Palace level itself).

Thanx

Ryan

OK so that wasn't much of a song. Here is a more complete version. Thou still pretty bare is many places (to be filled in soon), most of the structure of the song is now in place. I want to keep this one simple, and not used over 30 instruments like I usually do. Just 2 Solo Violins, Viola, Cello, Violin section, Piano, Harp and Celesta. That's it.

Like most of my songs, There is a story behind what I'm trying to 'write'. If anyone is familiar with the story behind the Hidden Palace in Sonic 2, they will know what I mean when I say I am trying to convey the loneliness felt by the guardian of the Chaos Emerald and the Mystery surrounding the whole area.

Let me know what you think!

Ryan

This is a clip from a song that I started back in 2005 and never got anywhere with, until last night. The first 23 seconds will most likely be changed or dumped all together. The rest of the song is what will be the ending of the song. I'm working backwards on this one!

THIS IS NOT COMPLETE IN ANYWAY!!!

thanx guys!

The sounds are too constrained; it doesn't feel like they have any room to breathe. Some Stereo widening and a very subtle reverb on the master will help the elements all connect a bit better and sound like they are all in the same room.

I think if you are going to have a full violin section going you really need to add the double bass; If you were just having a quartet it would be one thing, but when you add the full section, it sounds unnatural and disembodied without the low end.

A little humanization is needed throughout, but especially the section at 1:00 (and 2:02) needs to have some subtle imperfections added between the piano and the violin; it sounds way to mechanical now. The harp throughout could use some assistance here as well.

Very promising start, the arrangement is very nice, and now it just needs polish on the details. Nice work dude.

• 2 weeks later...

Update posted:

Like most things, this is progressing slowly. I am thinking it is about 80-90% done now.

azgg

Some questions for you:

2. Do I need to add more instrumentation to areas like 0:33 - 1:12, 3:25 - 4:10?

3. What should I call this song? (Titles usually come easy but not this time. I want a serious title, something that reflects the sadness and mystery of the melody and even the lost Hidden Palace level itself).

Thanx

Ryan

Some questions for you:

1. Don't really feel like you need a percussion track.

2. After you're done on the arrangement side, once you humanize the parts and add some reverb, this would likely sound pretty cohesive. So, I don't think you need to add anything.

3. When in doubt, I consult literature regarding the game. Hidden Palace Zone actually has it's own Wikipedia page. You may be able to come away with something based off that and relate it to the sadness/mystery imagery you're looking for.

In its current state, I feel like this arrangement should either be shortened, or employ more textures.

That's my biggest critique. The part writing itself isn't that bad, I just feel like there aren't enough musical ideas being brought to the table.

Obviously, adding drums would introduce a new texture to the arrangement, but that's not the only way to do it.

I would definitely explore adding some more instrumentation, or even changing some sections to new instruments. Just a thought.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...