About to buy a program

chiacho

i just got some money and decided to spend it on a mixing program which one should i buy or which one is the best?

The polite answer:

before you go off spending your money, put it in your piggy bank. Download the trial versions of every piece of software or visit a local music store and have it demonstrated to you. Then, choose what you can work best with.

The impolite answer:

This question is stupid. Or well, at least very thoughtless. It's like running into a dealership, shouting that you have money and you want to buy a car. Great, says the salesman, do you want to do groceries, take kids to school, drive offroad or compensate for disappointing dimensions of reproductive organs?

If you don't tell him, you're not going to make an informed choice.

Choosing software like this is based on:

- what can you spend (you didn't tell anyone how much money you have)

- what other things do you need to spend money on (you may buy program X, if you still have to work with some on-board soundcard your choice is useless)

- what kind of computer do you have? If you have a Mac, FL Studio is a stupid choice. If you have a PC, you can't buy Logic or Digital performer.

- what are you using at the moment and what are you used to?

So, you're not going to get an answer unless you tell us. Now.

i just got some money and decided to spend it on a mixing program which one should i buy or which one is the best?

Cubase

FruityLoops

Live

Logic

Pro Tools

Reason

SONAR

which one

???????????

Haha, well we could tell you the most expensive most "1337" ones, but I think you'd be very disappointed with your purchase. If it was as easy as "which ones the best, there'd probably only be one program on the market. We should get a big header in the forums- DOWNLOAD THE DEMOS! then you really need to decide for yourself, I downloaded some demo's, I was recommended several times to go with reason, and I had a slight personal interest in FL studio, I tried both and I loved FL and didn't really understand Reason too well, if I had gone with the recommendations (other than the recommendations to try the demo) I would have been disappointed. NOW DON"T POST AGAIN TILL YOU'VE THOUGHT OUT WHAT TO SAY! CAPS IS CRUISE CONTROL FOR COOL!!!11!!!11337!!!11!!1!!shift!!!11!!1!1!!1!!1!!!

The polite answer:

before you go off spending your money, put it in your piggy bank. Download the trial versions of every piece of software or visit a local music store and have it demonstrated to you. Then, choose what you can work best with.

The impolite answer:

This question is stupid. Or well, at least very thoughtless. It's like running into a dealership, shouting that you have money and you want to buy a car. Great, says the salesman, do you want to do groceries, take kids to school, drive offroad or compensate for disappointing dimensions of reproductive organs?

If you don't tell him, you're not going to make an informed choice.

Choosing software like this is based on:

- what can you spend (you didn't tell anyone how much money you have)

- what other things do you need to spend money on (you may buy program X, if you still have to work with some on-board soundcard your choice is useless)

- what kind of computer do you have? If you have a Mac, FL Studio is a stupid choice. If you have a PC, you can't buy Logic or Digital performer.

- what are you using at the moment and what are you used to?

So, you're not going to get an answer unless you tell us. Now.

yea sorry for the stupid question its just that i have sorta like a slow internet and i cant download all of them and i ve never made/remixed a song before but its never to late to try is it?

- I got $500 dollars

- i dont get your question

- PC windows XP

- first time using a mix program

http://www.cockos.com/reaper/files/1.x/reaper1888-install.exe

2.4mb - sequencer

http://mda.smartelectronix.com/vst/mda_vst_fx_win.zip 1.2mb - plugins and extras for sequencer

http://mda.smartelectronix.com/vst/help/mdahelp.zip .02mb - help files for plugins

I don't care how slow your internet is because this won't take more than an hour to download.

Taken from the mighty thread of price budgets - http://www.ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11586

I'd like to buy a program, but am too lazy to download and thoroughly try out a dozen different demos. Also too cheap to buy something as expensive as ProTools.

I've been using FruityLoops to make rock music. Not synth guitars or even soundfonts. I create a whole drum track with soundfont, then export to mp3 and record live bass, guitars, and vocals along to that, then trigger them as samples. I am fairly pleased with it as is, since FL has built-in plugins for effects and stuff, plus I can create keyboard lines with soundfonts too.

But the really big pain in the ass is that when I'm working on a song and editing it and stuff, if I want to hear how it sounds 1 minute in or something, I have to play the song from the beginning to hear the guitars and everything, as they are triggered as samples.

So I need a program that basically will allow me to use soundfonts (and probably trigger samples), be able to use plugins for effects (like delay, reverb, chorus, compression, EQ, the works), and be able to hear the guitar recordings when I listen part way through the song instead of having to play from the beginning to hear how they sound anywhere in the song.

ProTools would probably be great, with Reason as a plugin, that way I can control soundfonts/samples and hear the wav recordings of guitar, etc, wherever I want, plus layer on effects. But in my current situation, this is not financially feasible.

Any ideas? My budget is not very big, plus I don't need anything elaborate with various synths (making FL kind of a waste for me as I don't really make electronica, and when I do it's just with square/saw/triangle/pulse oscillators) or anything.

Thanks

I'd like to buy a program, but am too lazy to download and thoroughly try out a dozen different demos. Also too cheap to buy something as expensive as ProTools.

If you're too lazy to try out the demos, how are you not too lazy to make music? Also it's good that you're cheap, because ProTools sucks.

But the really big pain in the ass is that when I'm working on a song and editing it and stuff, if I want to hear how it sounds 1 minute in or something, I have to play the song from the beginning to hear the guitars and e

Split up the recording and/or the waveform into smaller, manageable parts. Probably saves HDD space too.

i'm just too lazy to try out demo after demo of programs i'm pretty sure won't be what i need.

as for slicing up my wav samples... i'd try that, but my style is to play as lively as possible, so practically none of the first notes of any bar start near enough to the beginning of the bar to do that. and i'm too lazy to try to trigger it a calculated few split seconds before or after the actual bar begins, aside from when i trigger the 3-minute guitar wav recording for the 3-minute song (approx). i'd rather spend my time jamming it out and tweaking the tone and stuff, rather than painstakingly trying to synch up a guitar that is intentionally unquantized.

from what i've seen of people using protools, it seems good for recording live tracks all in one go (i'm idiosyncratic in that i won't use any take i have to cut up in any way. it's all or nothing). i just need something that can also use soundfonts and trigger wav samples the way fruityloops does. it'd be really nice to be able to use vst's too.

did some research and found out that reason, renoise, acid, and garageband are not for me.

perhaps i should mention that soon i will be buying a new computer, depending on whether the software i need is a mac or pc program.

i'm just too lazy to try out demo after demo of programs i'm pretty sure won't be what i need.

You'll go places, kiddo.

If you want to be smart, quit saying that you're lazy. You might as well ask people to do all the work for you and get a similar vitriolic reaction. The world rewards action. Try hiring studio time; then you'll get the techs thrown in for free, but don't think they're going to respect you or help you out if you have no plan. Plus, it costs way more.

But the really big pain in the ass is that when I'm working on a song and editing it and stuff, if I want to hear how it sounds 1 minute in or something, I have to play the song from the beginning to hear the guitars and everything, as they are triggered as samples.

Be glad that it's the 21st century ;).

Anyway, sounds like what you want/need is something that "understands" the concept of chorus, verse, etc. If you do your drums with FL Studio, an actual drum computer might be a better idea for you, as you get a large selection of pre-built rhythm stuff and fill-ins, intros and breaks. As for triggering as samples, you just need something that allows audio tracks - those will play without triggering, they just "are".

As for being cheap, ProTools M-Powered or LE is quite some value for money; the interface is thrown in for free. If that's still too much, check out Mackie Tracktion.

Soundfonts are a replacement for a software sampler with a library, and they're okay as an intermediate format. They're not natively handled; a soundfont player in the shape of a plugin (RGC SFZ) is more effective.

Instead of 'lazy' I should have used the word 'busy.'

Cool, knowing that there are soundfont players as plugins, I can assume there are also wav sample playing plugins. That's sweet. Maybe I'll just get ProTools and get soundfont/sample plugins, as well as effects plugins. That'll be all I need.

Sweet.

pre-built rhythm stuff and fill-ins, intros and breaks

Nothanks.

Either be lazy, or unsatisfied with what you buy, it's really your choice. I can fix one thing though, if you want to be able to hear a sample part way in without starting from the beginning, load them into the audio track playlist, not into patterns. If you don't know what it is, open the playlist in FL (what you said you've been using) if you see to sections to it (top, bottom) then instead of dragging the sample into a new channel, drag it somewhere into the bottom half of the playlist. It'll add it as an audio clip channel and then will play from any spot you start on. If you can't see the bottom half, then at the very bottom of the playlits window, grob onto the top part of the bottom set of bars and drag up. There, that's solved, now download more demos unless you're happy with what you have.

Either be lazy, or unsatisfied with what you buy, it's really your choice. I can fix one thing though, if you want to be able to hear a sample part way in without starting from the beginning, load them into the audio track playlist, not into patterns. If you don't know what it is, open the playlist in FL (what you said you've been using) if you see to sections to it (top, bottom) then instead of dragging the sample into a new channel, drag it somewhere into the bottom half of the playlist. It'll add it as an audio clip channel and then will play from any spot you start on. If you can't see the bottom half, then at the very bottom of the playlits window, grob onto the top part of the bottom set of bars and drag up. There, that's solved, now download more demos unless you're happy with what you have.

Awesome, this is totally perfect. I don't know how I've overlooked the entire bottom section of the playlist all this time. When I have some considerable free time I might look into some other programs anyway.