I'm new and I have questions

Right so I came here to see if I can help out and learn alittle bit but I need to know what programs there are to remix with can you guys give me a list? and I don't have $100 so can you list some free ones? I have FinalePrintMusic and they said you can remix with that one but the sound quality isn't as great as the others remixes I hear on the site!! So Help me out?:-o

Basically, you're going to want to shell out some money on a decent DAW or at least something similar, because that's pretty much the beating heart of a remixer's tools, and there's not much of a free alternative to even the cheaper ones.

The two most often used DAWs here would be Fruity Loops and Reason (though the latter isn't a DAW in the exact sense of the word) so I suggest you take a look at those two, and maybe download the demo's to test them out.

I know you probably want to stick to Finale with the notation stuff, but especially percussion parts are so much easier to do in a step sequencer than in notation.

In terms of instruments and samples, most DAWs have a decent array of built-in VSTi's and effects, and you can find a lot of half-decent stuff for free on sites like kvraudio, so you don't really have to spend your cash on things like that just yet.

In short: Get a DAW, start learning, have fun mixing.

Basically, you're going to want to shell out some money on a decent DAW or at least something similar, because that's pretty much the beating heart of a remixer's tools, and there's not much of a free alternative to even the cheaper ones.

The two most often used DAWs here would be Fruity Loops and Reason (though the latter isn't a DAW in the exact sense of the word) so I suggest you take a look at those two, and maybe download the demo's to test them out.

I know you probably want to stick to Finale with the notation stuff, but especially percussion parts are so much easier to do in a step sequencer than in notation.

In terms of instruments and samples, most DAWs have a decent array of built-in VSTi's and effects, and you can find a lot of half-decent stuff for free on sites like kvraudio, so you don't really have to spend your cash on things like that just yet.

In short: Get a DAW, start learning, have fun mixing.

Can I have a URL? and how much will it cost?(so I know how much to save:mrgreen:)

Thanks :) but I need to know what people use most (and I need to know what the names of the softwares)

If you would get all of my gear (or any musician here on the forum) you still won't be able to use it to the fullest and you wouldn't make the same things. Your sequencer is an instrument and it's something you have to grow into. Nobody can decide for you what you like or should buy- but since you're almost always bound by budget constraints, we can make suggestions.

Get a DAW. This means a piece of software you can sequence with. Then, (if necessary), get the plugins (see the Mixing for Free tutorial to find a starting point). Don't ask; just start.

Download the trial versions if they're available of FL Studio, Sonar, Ableton Live, Reason - if you need urls for anything of this, use the mighty Google and type in the words. You're going to have to search more than once while using it - for tutorials for example.

If you expect to make remixes you have to start somewhere; there's a time to ask for help and there's a time to cast off the training wheels and let go of mommy's hand. The sooner you can do this, the better.

can someone give me a very simplified version of what yall are saying.

STEP ONE

You have a computer. First, let's find out what's in there. When in Windows, do the following: hold the Windows-key on your keyboard and press the key called "Pause/Break". A window will pop up. On the bottom it says what kind of computer you have, it usually lists the processor speed (recommended: higher than 1.8 Ghz) and the amount of internal memory you have (recommended : 1 GB of RAM or more). If you have more, good. If you have less, tell us.

STEP TWO

As everyone here sort of already has said, you need software; a program to make music with.

Go to http://www.propellerheads.se//download/index.cfm?fuseaction=download_reason_demo

Download the Windows version of the program. This is a zip file. Double-click on the file on the desktop. A new window appears, and you'll see "Install Reason Demo.exe". Double-click on that, follow the instructions (basically, say Next > Next > Next > Install, then click Finish).

Reason opens. Again, click Next, Next, Next, No Master Keyboard. Now you'll see the screen in front of you; it's got lots of stuff on it. Forget this, we'll make something new first.

STEP THREE

Go to File > New. Another window opens. You may close the previous one with all the stuff in there.

On top, you see something with lots of knobs and sliders; this is called a Mixer.

If sound is a piece of rope, a mixer will be like a loom; it weaves sounds together. First, let's get some rope. Go to Create (top menu in the window) and choose "SubTractor Analog Synthesizer". A green-gray box appears with again lots of knobs.

Since I assume you have no music keyboard attached to your computer, this doesn't do much. Go to "Create" again, and choose "Matrix Pattern Sequencer". Don't worry about the terminology, you'll get to that eventually.

There's a little black button on the Matrix that has "Run" written beneath it. Click on it. You should now hear sound.

If you don't, check your speakers/headphones/etc. If you do, congratulations, but it sounds sort of boring. Right-click on the red screen, and choose "Randomize pattern". This sounds like a broken computer.

Go to the Subtractor and see if you can spot "Filter 1" (right corner, top). Move the "Freq" slider down, move the "Res" (they're right next to eachother) slider up to halfway.

Congratulations, you're now halfway to making acid house music :).

Also, see

- this guy does the same, only more complicated.

SO, WHAT'S THIS ALL ABOUT

The combination of a computer and a piece of software like this is called a DAW - Digital Audio Workstation.

You need a soundcard geared towards music production (which is known as an "audio interface") because it has a better way of working with programs like these than whatever is on-board (built-in on the motherboard). That "better way" is thanks to the software that's supplied with it; it tells your computer to give a higher priority to the sounds. Without this priority, the sound may crackle and stutter.

If you look at the back of the computer and you see a blue, a green and a pink input for the speakers - well, those are rather small. Microphones and mixers are bigger, so an audio interface can solve that. The quality of the inputs is usually also better on an audio interface; less noise.

Since you don't have any cash at all, the "free" solution is to go to www.asio4all.com and download and install that.

Reason's not free either, but it's probably good for you to try so you can learn a little bit about what everything is and how it works. Use the demo, try to find out what the knobs do. See if you can change the demo song, delete stuff, put it in a different order, etc.

I don't think I can explain it in a more simple way than that, unless you start watching tutorial videos.

To yourstep one thing I looked and I have 1.8 Ghz of processing speed and only 256MB of RAM will this cause problems? and what's the ASIO thing for again? for audio interface? I get some parts I can do some but will it slow down my Comp if I don't have enough memory?(the computer I'm using now my family also uses as well so if that gives you an Idea on how I can fix this or something)

To yourstep one thing I looked and I have 1.8 Ghz of processing speed and only 256MB of RAM will this cause problems?

For Reason, not so much; for other software, it may be. There's several software synthesizers that may bring it down to its knees.

and what's the ASIO thing for again?

It's something the audio interface has to support. That's what you have to look for if you plan on getting one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_stream_input_output gives a more detailed explanation, but you don't have to bother with the details.

I get some parts I can do some but will it slow down my Comp if I don't have enough memory?(the computer I'm using now my family also uses as well so if that gives you an Idea on how I can fix this or something)

Well, you could try to upgrade; put in more memory. Thing is, you are going to need someone (preferably near you) who can help you with this; if you're even allowed to do it (if it's not your computer) in the first place.

In the ideal situation, you have your own computer and it's not used for games, internet, etc. But, that'd cost a lot more than simply adding 256 MB (or replacing the memory with a single 1GB) and buying a secondhand audio interface (you can get an E-mu 0404 or M-Audio Audiophile 2496 for $not much).

However, once you have that as a basis, adding software synthesizers won't cost much. Just see it as an initial investment.

so that reason demo is just a demo of the real thing right? but I realy wanted to you know actualy save my work! and the whole software costs over $400!!!!!!!!!

There's a part of me that wants to slap your forehead and yell "Ah-durrr!"

Of course it's just a demo. FruityLoop's demo is the exact same way. I'm pretty sure most high quality DAW demos won't let you save your work, because if they did, buying the product would be moot.

If you want to start out just by arranding things that you can save, I suggest finding a free midi creation program. Those you can actually save your arrangement work. Then simply import the midis once you actually get a DAW and work on mastering.

so that reason demo is just a demo of the real thing right? but I realy wanted to you know actualy save my work! and the whole software costs over $400!!!!!!!!!

You wanted to know what we use. If you want to get into the industry it'll cost you. I went with FL studio personally because I like it better, but as a plus the best edition costs about $150.

Welcome to making music with the computer, where you'll be spending money like water and learning rocket surgery ;).

Actually, be glad that it's only $150. You don't really want to know what that'd buy you 10 years ago (or worse, 20). It'd get you Jack and Shit.

Plus, with FL it's an initial investment; afterwards you can coast off the free plugin archives.