Liontamer

Keep an open mind; it's a doozy :-D - LT

ReMix: Escalloniaceae (version)+

Link: http://www.duke.edu/~jfw7/DemanusFlint-_Escalloniaceae_(version)+.mp3

ReMixer name: DemanusFlint

E-mail address: jfw7@duke.edu

Userid: 2200

Name of game ReMixed: Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island

Name of individual song ReMixed: Yoshi's Island (Title Screen)

I request that the link to this file remains if the ReMix is rejected.

Comments: Well, after five or six years of reading and listening to OCReMix I finally decided to submit something. While there have been tons of examples of really interesting dance or techno music, plenty of neat rock tracks, some well-done orchestral pieces, and some swingin' jazz tunes, I still feel like there is a lot of musical territory that OCR has (as yet) left alone. This piece is an attempt to branch out into genres that have never been explored by many other ReMixes.

This piece is, at heart, lo-fi organic drone, inspired by artists such as Fursaxa, Organ Eye, and Avarus. The mbira has a Yuka & Yoshimi influence. A lot of the field recordings and loop-based composition have their roots in Noah Lennox, Eric Copeland, and David Portner, and the distortion is inspired by Daniel Higgs. Basically, without that gratuitous name-dropping, this piece represents a lot of what I listen to.

Nearly every track in this piece was recorded by me, whether I performed them live or created field recordings. The bass and toms are synthesized, but every other track is as purely organic as I could make it.

While it has been confirmed that other people enjoy this piece, I do understand that it may not follow the standards that OCR has already established. It's simply my wish to see a great site with plenty of great songs grow into what I consider great genres of music. Let me know what you think, and if you think it can be salvaged be sure to point out how!

Thanks so much!

--Jonathan

---------------------------------------------------------------

The part of the source first used starts at :24.

http://snesmusic.org/v2/download.php?spcNow=yi - "Yoshi's Island" (yi-03.spc)

Now to me, this is a bunch of noise. And I don't mean to sound close-minded on it, because I'm not. I can roll with this approach, and realize that it's a purposeful one. Yet the way everything's put together, it's difficult to pick out any one part vs. all of the others. Keep in mind, this stuff would be less of a factor in the face of a kick-ass interpretation of the source material.

But...

Aside from the source melody though, there's nothing else with arrangement value in terms of interpreting the source. On top of that, the few parts you have playing the source melody and percussion essentially do so verbatim compared with the original. The percussion might as well be direct sampling with how close it sounds. There's very little interpretive substance here besides adding all the various loops on top; if you mentally peel them away, you're left with very little substance in terms of your interpretation of the source.

Whatever little arrangement value may have been present from 3:26 until the end was lost among a lot of noise. If you're going to go this route where you go for more of a wall of noise, I think it's still necessary to produce so that it doesn't attack the ears. :-D It seems to me from your WIP thread though, that this came out how you want it, so, on that level, more power to you. But if you'd like to provide more interpretive substance with the actual source tune and not hinge nearly everything on the surrounding sounds, then tone down the ear-breakage portions also and try again. This is something different and that's cool, but there's gotta be that balance between honoring the framework of the chosen genre and effectively interpreting the original VGM material.

NO

• 2 months later...

The melodic elements are played near enough exactly like the original, save the bass which sounded like it was played in a similar but not identical fashion. This was very interesting to listen to, although it did get quite noisy towards the end - I had to turn the volume down.

I appreciate that this sort of style is difficult to pull off, as it is shaping noisy and distorted sounds whilst at the same time trying not to make the listener's ears bleed. The production still needs some tweaking as it does sound overly harsh to me.

This is an interesting take on the original (and would work well in an anime imo). However the melodic parts are too similar to the source for me to let this pass.

NO (Interesting submission - resub?)

Gotta agree here, especially with Larry's points about little arrangement value. What's there may as well be directly sampled. It's not changed in any really meaningful way. Crowd-noises layered over the music may as well been drumloops. It's the same kind of thing. That ending is especially grating and doesn't serve to interpret the source material at all.

NO