*NO* Breath of Fire 2 'Jaded by Death'

Liontamer

CONTACT INFO:

Remixer names: HoboKa and Mike Z (voice acting)

Alexander Shtokalko

e-mail: the_great_guy_sorta@hotmail.com

no website

Can't find my user ID

REMIX INFO:

BreathofFire II Final Battle, remix name: "JadedByDeath"

Original song (MIDI format)

Comments: I was inspired to make this song, because none of the remixers had the time to do it themselves...lol. So I decided that I would give it a try myself..heck it's only been a bit less than a month since I have been messing around with FruityLoops, so I hope that it turned out well...

Any hoo, I thought that a symphonic opening/buildup that turns into a trance/techno song would be a cool idea for the mix. And Mike Z did the creepy voice for me; he is by far one of the best voice actors I've come across insofar. Thanks Mike :D - I hope you guys enjoy my first real remix attempt! :)

-----------------------------------------------

http://snesmusic.org/v2/download.php?spcNow=bof2 - "Evan ~ God of Death" (bof2-46.spc)

We all gotta start somewhere, but why is this only 112kbps, for a 3:37-long mix? Why is this hosted on Megaupload? In any case, I believe I saw you say, Alex, that you wanted to learn how to make music so you could fulfill your own requests. Nice work.

The delay effect on "all" at the end of Mike's voice acting was very cheesily done. Make the delay effect faster so that the voice rolls into the delays trailing off of it.

Campy stuff, but ultra-solid voice work from MikeZ. The guy sounds like he could rip your balls off.

Cool ambiance for the intro. The strings at 1:07 sounded a bit distant and the sample quality was a little fakey, but they worked well in tandem with the solitary sounding piano notes. Good textures there.

Why it segued into some bleh electronic stuff, I can't be sure. There's nothing wrong with the premise, but it's just not put together well. REALLY cheap sounding beats and sampling at 1:54. Reminiscent of Parasite Eve to tell you the truth, just not as well produced. If the beats weren't so loud over the rest of the music, it would have been much better, as you could hardly hear the melodic material on the strings arranging the source. Why were you burying the actual arrangement component of the track like that? Get the sound balance working more in your favor for that section.

Regardless of that, your textures were overly simplistic and need more depth. At 2:34, the lead synth and processing on it felt ultra-bland. MikeZ at 3:24 was way too quiet, then the effects on the Mu-hahas were way too cornball. :lol: The track cut off abruptly at 3:37.

Honestly, if you filled in the gaps for this piece and honed the production on this, it could be good, but right now you're not at that level. The jumpy structure will turn some judges off, but the variation and arrangement ideas were in the right place. Over time, you'll learn how to add more finesse to this rough execution. You show promise though, Alex. Keep at it.

NO

• 2 months later...

The intro is so great, but the texture of the song falls apart when the electronic stuff comes in. Those beats sound TERRIBLE. They're dry, loud, and don't feel like they're inside the song; the percussion sounds like it's another piece entirely that happens to match up in terms of tempo.

Voice work is fine, but the echo is cheesy.

Everything else sounds empty; the sounds are generic and there's not enough interplay between instruments for this arrangement to really work. Tons of default FL sounds in here that are immediately recognizable; if you're gonna use defaults, you have to really be creative with how you process them.

Also, you rendered your song to loop; it sounds horrible at the end there; cuts right off.

This needs way more in terms of creative sound design and part-writing. NO

wow. Dark. Atmosphere is great, but the musical elements are lacking. This wouldn' be a problem if you took an uber-minimal approach a la CotMM, but you have some pretty thick beats, and the octaved lines are really akward and incomplete-sounding. I think you've got a good vision in terms of the atmosphere, but you need to do either more, or less, musically.

NO