*NO* Double Dragon 'Medley'

Liontamer

Hello,

I'd like to submit a remix I've done, including three themes from the classic arcade game Double Dragon, arranged in a medley.

Link to download the file :

Contact Information :

- Remixer name : Lolo from GP

- Email : laurent@grospixels.com

- UserID : 24777

Submission information :

- Game : Double Dragon (arcade)

- Individual music : level 1, level 2, attract mode

- Remix title : Double Dragon medley

- Composer : Kazunaka Yamane

- Link to the original music :

- Arrangements, MIDI programming and sequencing : Lolo from GP

- Electric guitars played by : Lolo from GP

- Comments : this is my rendition of Double Dragon music, including themes from level 1, level 2 and attract mode. This is rock version recorded with a real electric guitar. The drums, bass and Hammond organ are general-midi programmed and played with soundfonts. The aim is to stress the "seventies" feeling of the original tunes. Hope you like it. Everything is done on a 7 years-old PC with a Maxi Home Studio soundcard (made by Guillemot), and a french sequencing program called Quartz Audio Master. I only used Fruity Loops to record the midi instruments with soundfonts (.sf2 format), wich the Maxi soundcard is not capable of as it only uses .94b soundbanks. As for the electric guitars, they were recorded with a Fender Strat through an amplifier simulator (Behringer V-Amp Pro).

Thank you !

Lolo from GP

http://www.grospixels.com/site/remix.php

--------------------------------------------------------------

http://akumunsf.good-evil.net/D/Double%20Dragon.nsf - Track 3, Track 4 & Track 1

This was cool, but there was definitely something missing here to fill this out all the way and make everything feel cohesive. The snare even sounded kind of tame. The sequenced instruments generally sounded good, but the background still sounded empty. The bass was quiet enough to basically be a non-factor.

No meaningful transitions at 1:17 and 2:52 either, which was weak on the arrangement side. The arrangement had some expansive part-writing, but each section covering the different themes didn't really have too much melodic interpretation or development, so you had a fairly cookie-cutter arrangement. I liked the freestyling from 2:17-2:52 & 3:42-4:07 though, but would have preferred to hear that kind of stuff having some interplay with the source tunes instead of doing a cover-original-cover structure.

The Grospixels are cool, and I'm glad Laurent submitted something, but the background needs something more to provide the last piece of the puzzle, and the arrangement just needs more development and interpretation. Cool cover-style stuff, but not kosher with the guidelines.

NO

I like some of the ideas here. The second section was really strong (honestly, I think the song would be a lot stronger if it just focused on this section), and the soloing all around was cool. Nice blend of instruments. There are some weaker moments scattered throughout, the intro unfortunately being one of them. The new partwriting there doesn't work that well and the playing is a little too loose. Not a good start. I also think that first section is too conservative, though the soloing and later sections may make up for it. Transitions are abrupt.

The drums are weak here, sounding sort of like a keyboard accompaniment. Writing on those drums was not bad, but the sounds are muted. I thought there needed to be more fullness and stronger attacks there to lock in a beat. Other instruments like the guitars and organ sound pretty good.

Not quite there, I'm afraid. Good ideas certainly, but they will require some more development.

NO (resubmit)

This has some good moments and some weak moments. The soundscape feels empty which might have to do with how you processed the samples. It feels like there's something missing in the background, everything's also mixed very low. The drums lack punch and sounds very weak. On the other hand the guitar has a good sound and is well played. The organ is okay too even though some awkward cut-offs like at 2:52 keeps it from sounding like it's one with the piece.

The transitions between the different sections could've been better. There's not much interpretation of the melodies either, like Larry pointed out. However the soloing is quite cool and works well.

Overall this needs a lot of work despite being a cool idea for an arrangement. Work on how you handle the arrangement, transitions and interpretation especially and then start touching up the production.

NO