Getting Wireless to work in Ubuntu 8.04

Sinewav

I'm starting this thread so that my other linux thread can get back on topic.

I'm trying to connect wirelessly, but it doesnt show that option in the network settings. I also don't know my IP address. (Just the name of the router & the password).

For the rest of you out their who might want to jump in and help (I'm fairly new at this, so some real experience would be much appreciated), here's what I know from the conversation so far:

He's using Unbuntu 8.4 Hardy Heron installed using WUBI, presumably on Windows XP or possibly Vista. So far it sounds like a similar issue I had with my Broadcom 4306 wireless card. I figured it out with a little help from Drack and this post on Ubuntuforums.com, though I barely made it through all that, and I imagine it would be a little over this guy's head for now.

VerSus22: I'm going to try and walk you through this as baby-steps as I can, but know that it's not because I think you're dumb or something. It's mostly just because half the time when I scour teh intarwebs for answers to issues like this, people always throw a bunch of technical jargon at me and expect me to somehow know what they're talking about. This pisses me off, and it makes learning much harder.

So first off. Up in the top left corner of your screen, click Applications/Accessories/Terminal/. Once you've done this, type in "lspci". A big list of hardware stuff should come up. Highlight, right-click, and copy all of it, then post it here. Specifically I'm looking for the item called "Network Controller".

VerSus22: I'm going to try and walk you through this as baby-steps as I can, but know that it's not because I think you're dumb or something. It's mostly just because half the time when I scour teh intarwebs for answers to issues like this, people always throw a bunch of technical jargon at me and expect me to somehow know what they're talking about. This pisses me off, and it makes learning much harder.

It's just I've never used ubuntu before..