Please Leave Feedback - Mario Kart 64 - Mushroom Pike

Lunahorum

This is a song I am working on from the request part of the forums. Please provide me with feedback.

There is something wrong with the overall sound. It sounded fine before I mastered it, but it wasn't very loud. Well Take a listen and please help me out. Thanks

Most recent version on top

Version 2

glsz

Version 1

nznk

I have been trying to compare this to my premaster and I think there's something different with the lower midrange.

Hmm kay I'll try my best to to critique this:

First things first I think that choir is kinda dissonant with that bass line, just tweak it a bit till you hear a more smooth kinda meshing. But I like the bassline :D

ARRANGEMENT / INTERPRETATION

writing)

[X] Too much direct sampling from original game audio [MAYBE, I don't mind too much but others may]

PRODUCTION

[X] Mixing is muddy (eg. too many sounds in the same range)(little bit to my ears, dunno if others think it's worse)

[X] Piano is over compressed I think and it sounds like it's only set to one velocity, needs more humanization if it hasn't been already IMO.

PERFORMANCE (live recorded audio/MIDI parts)

[X ] Wrong notes, general sloppiness (mainly the choir chords, maybe it's cuz they were originally recorded in 5ths or something :S)

STRUCTURE

[X] Abrupt ending

[X] Weak ending IMO

PERSONAL COMMENTS:

Needs to end on a better chord I think. I think that this song has sufficient direction and its not random in any aspect, good use of arpreggios and stuff with them chimes/bells or what have you. The synths are fun to listen to and the bassline is interesting, though I didn't take the time to see if it was ripped from a midi or not :P. Nevertheless, I found this not too long, not too short and fun to listen to, just a few gripes here and there - don't take my word 100% cuz I'm still new to making music myself, as you know, so yeah.

Well The bass and kick look in the center. My little stereo image vst confirms this.

The problem was the piano soundfont I was using I think. It should be ok now. I panned the piano to the left to mono then panned it back to the center so both sides are the same now.

first post updated

the choir chord is now too loud. And now that i think more of it, it may not be off key, but it seems a little dissonant to me, maybe i'm just a hobo oh well. The keys are still over compressed though and are LOUD. I think you gotta bring the other tracks volume down, bring the gain down for the piano or get a diff. sample altogether if you can't get it to change. I think it's alright otherwise. Still a fun listen.

Hey hoboka thanks for the feedback. The choir chords are supposed to be playing a suspended type of chord. Not sure if mine is the right one, but it's fairly right.

The bassline is straight off the original soundtrack except for some spots near the end. The piano and arpeggio are different from the original although close.

This starts out promising. I like your basic groove and the bass work. Voice FX are annoying and sound very cheesy throughout. Piano starts out okay, but then the execution starts sounding awkward especially around :51. The build at 1:13 sounds a little strange, but I like the texture at 1:21 with the choir, bass, and beat. 1:35 needs work; you've got some strange harmonies that sound really dissonant. Ditto at 2:04. Good luck with it though, we need more MK64 mixes here. :)