Nintendo Wii

Smoke

So. Anyone think Nintendo should at the -very- least, get off their lazy, collective arses, and start doing something fun, like packing demo DVDs in with Nintendo Power or something? Especially with the ever-growing audience who otherwise wouldn't have ever been interested?

It's a bloody no-brainer.. DS and Wii demos, plus high resolution, lag-free trailers and everything. Let some gamers actually experience some of these glorious demos they keep showing at E3, for 3 years before the game is even released!

I always liked SHMUPS, but never enough to buy one. They were always rentals for me. The only two examples of the genre that I beat as a kid were Gradius 3 and Thunder Spirits. The first VC game I bought was Gradius 3 and it took me something like two days to get past the first level; man my skills went to hell. It was another month (maybe longer) before I beat the game, but once I hit the zone that game is utterly sublime. Now I can play through it without dying. I figure I'll let it sit fallow for a while so when I pick it up I'll suck all over again.

More recently I tried out R-Type Third Lightning and found it clunky and not so fun. On one hand it's easier than Gradius...until it gets hard, unfairly so I'd say. I ended up dropping it from my system but I'd definitely like to try another SHMUP.

So, I like Gradius 3 and hate R-Type 3, can anyone recommend another SHMUP I might like from the VC?

I always liked SHMUPS, but never enough to buy one. They were always rentals for me. The only two examples of the genre that I beat as a kid were Gradius 3 and Thunder Spirits. The first VC game I bought was Gradius 3 and it took me something like two days to get past the first level; man my skills went to hell. It was another month (maybe longer) before I beat the game, but once I hit the zone that game is utterly sublime. Now I can play through it without dying. I figure I'll let it sit fallow for a while so when I pick it up I'll suck all over again.

More recently I tried out R-Type Third Lightning and found it clunky and not so fun. On one hand it's easier than Gradius...until it gets hard, unfairly so I'd say. I ended up dropping it from my system but I'd definitely like to try another SHMUP.

So, I like Gradius 3 and hate R-Type 3, can anyone recommend another SHMUP I might like from the VC?

How can you hate RIII? WHUT DA HELL'S WRONG WITCHU?! :lol:

Anyway, my thoughts on a number of the Genesis and SNES shmups...

9 Thunder Force III- Genesis

10 Lightning Force- Genesis

9 Steel Empire- Genesis

8 Gaiares- Genesis

9 Axelay- SNES

8 Space Megaforce- SNES

8 Whip Rush- Genesis

7 Vapor Trail- Genesis

8 Wings of Wor- Genesis

8 Super R-Type- SNES

7.5 Air Buster- Genesis

8.5 Elemental Master- Genesis

8 Fire Shark- Genesis

8 Hellfire- Genesis

8 Phelios- Genesis

8 Raiden Trad (Genesis)

8.5 Sub Terrania- Genesis

8.5 Granada- Genesis

7 Bio Metal- SNES

9 M.U.S.H.A.- Genesis

7.5 Sagaia- Genesis

7 Forgotten Worlds- Genesis

8 Biohazard Battle- Genesis

7 Phalanx- SNES

7 Fire Power 2000

8 UN Squadron- SNES

8 Viewpoint- Genesis

And for the ones you played...

8 Gradius III

9 R-Type III: The Third Lightning

5 Thunder Spirits

Good grief, how many of those are actually on the Virtual Console? And yeah, I'm pretty blah on R-Type 3. It had its moments but got stupid towards the end. C'mon, a level where you have to go trial and error to avoid death? Then make you go backwards through the level when your guns only fire forwards? (unless you have the right power-up). Bah I say. I played a few times and ultimately didn't enjoy it.

Anyway Coop, you have a high opinion of R-Type 3 so I find your suggestions suspect. :wink:

So. Anyone think Nintendo should at the -very- least, get off their lazy, collective arses, and start doing something fun, like packing demo DVDs in with Nintendo Power or something? Especially with the ever-growing audience who otherwise wouldn't have ever been interested?

It's a bloody no-brainer.. DS and Wii demos, plus high resolution, lag-free trailers and everything. Let some gamers actually experience some of these glorious demos they keep showing at E3, for 3 years before the game is even released!

I have a demo DVD somewhere from Nintendo Power(sometime last year I think). It has Link on the front of the disc, heh.

And we find it suspect that you don't like R-Type 3.

You'd probably also find it suspect that I'm not a fan of pepperoni. Different tastes. I only pointed it out as a guide. I'm asking for advice on making a purchase, so if you know what I do like and what I didn't like, hopefully you can make educated suggestions. I guess the defining differences between Gradius 3 and R-Type 3 for me was, Gradius let you see what was coming and it was up to you to react in time to survive. R-Type 3 tossed in hazards you don't see coming and obstacles that required a certain type of response immediately or you die. No wonder the game gave you infinite lives. That annoyed me. I don't usually like trial and error game play.

What about games like Blazing Lasers and Soldier Blade?

Read the article earlier today. They applaud the pacing, and I'm glad to hear that beam stacking is back, ala Super Metroid. Also welcome: better backtracking, more ship interaction.

I'm excited for this even more now... Still don't like Dark Samus, but whatever. Love the series.

Read the article earlier today. They applaud the pacing, and I'm glad to hear that beam stacking is back, ala Super Metroid. Also welcome: better backtracking, more ship interaction.

I'm excited for this even more now... Still don't like Dark Samus, but whatever. Love the series.

Maybe if this title sells like crazy(and I'm hoping it will, since it's the first real 'hardcore' game for Wii), Nintendo will finally make another 2d Metroid.

I guess I better start a campaign like the Mother fans.

Maybe if this title sells like crazy(and I'm hoping it will, since it's the first real 'hardcore' game for Wii), Nintendo will finally make another 2d Metroid.

I guess I better start a campaign like the Mother fans.

2D metroid with 3D sprites, damnit! Sorta like Super Paper Mario.. but not so flat.

What about games like Blazing Lasers and Soldier Blade?

I can't comment on them, as I've never owned a TG-16 or a Turbo Duo, so I've never played them. Some say Blazing Lasers is the best Hu-card shmup on the TG-16 though, with its version of R-Type being a very close second. Again, that's just what I've read over the years. I've never gotten to try them out.

I want this game:

Endless Ocean

Same here. It is one of the Wii games I've been looking forward since before the Wii was released... I like the idea of scuba diving (I've never actually done it...), I like exploration, and I like pretty pictures (as my screenshots directory can attest to. It's over 3 GB in size). Even if others don't like the game (I don't know why not, but whatever), I will almost certainly buy this game.
Okay...

Errr... the next few months are gonna be expensive:

August: MP3

September ???

October: Endless Ocean

November: Super Mario Galaxy

December: Super Smash Brother

Crud. I better start saving up now... That's a lot of money I'm going to need if I want to get all of those (which I do. I've already got MP3 reserved. On that note, I hope to find MP3s of MP3's music... Sorry, I've been wanting to say that for a long time). I'm certainly looking forward to these next few months. Hopefully I can get the time to play them all. Mouser X out.

No dammit :P (using a DS game for example)NSMB was fun, but I think I'd still prefer 2d.

You can get WAY more detail into the sprites if you use 3D sprites, plus you can do a lot more with subtle lighting effects using 3D cell shaders, to give it a way more interesting look.

No dammit :P (using a DS game for example)NSMB was fun, but I think I'd still prefer 2d.

NSMB was pretty good looking... I think taking the same approach to Metroid (a New Super Metroid?) would be pretty nifty. It wasn't just the visuals, it was that the developers went back and reimagined the old game with the new moves, artistic style, etc.

Metroid (or Super Metroid, really) could get a lot out of that.

Use the Wiimote pointer as a perfect tool for having fine control of aiming in all directions around Samus, as well as being able to implement the different visors seen in the Prime series.

I can imagine the X-ray visor would have particularly improved use, because while you can still see around you, you can move while scanning and still fire your weapon, and it would allow for some truly epic Shinespark events, when you can have that kind of subtle control over your direction.

Tracking fast-moving enemies across the screen would also be a bit of a treat. Plus the use of guided missiles and guided Super Missiles.

Personally, I wouldn't want it to be a remake of Super Metroid, because that would wind up being too much of a retcon to the series. Instead, they could easily implement it as Metroid 5 and take us somewhere new.

It's a fun idea, and I agree with most of it, but I wasn't asking for a retcon - NSMB had very little to do with (old) SMB, stagewise. Aside from a few little doses of nostalgia, it was a totally new game. So yeah. NSM, please. On Wii. Make it pretty.

Go Nintendo, go!

I was just being semi-sarcastic about the no 3d models :P I was just going for nostalgia value lol.

But yeah, I'd love for a new side scroller Metroid. It could be so beautiful on the Wii. It wouldn't have to be so graphically demanding, which is what the Wii is good at :P

I think it'd also be pretty amazing if they remade Metroid II for the GBA or DS or whatever like they did with the original Metroid. I know there's emulators and whatnot, but I still feel that many people probably missed out on that game. Plus, it was on the gameboy, so the game could have looked so much better with more colors and detail.

I was just being semi-sarcastic about the no 3d models :P I was just going for nostalgia value lol.

But yeah, I'd love for a new side scroller Metroid. It could be so beautiful on the Wii. It wouldn't have to be so graphically demanding, which is what the Wii is good at :P

I think it'd also be pretty amazing if they remade Metroid II for the GBA or DS or whatever like they did with the original Metroid. I know there's emulators and whatnot, but I still feel that many people probably missed out on that game. Plus, it was on the gameboy, so the game could have looked so much better with more colors and detail.

Plus the game itself could use some more recent features. Like a map. And maybe some extra side areas.

The GB was limited in what it could offer, due to the limited resolution and choice to have Samus and all the other sprites, appear so large on the screen, so it was really very zoomed in by comparison. Expanding on it ZM-style would really be able to make it an even better game.