ReMix:Kirby: Canvas Curse "I Want You Inside Me" 3:31

By halc

Arranging the music of one song...

"Frozen Fantasy"

Primary Game: Kirby: Canvas Curse (Nintendo , 2005, NDS), music by Jun Ishikawa, Tadashi Ikegami

Posted 2009-09-12, evaluated by the judges panel

Mr. Wheeler, you're a sick, sick man. My labeling this mix title "tongue in cheek" only continues the unpleasant euphemism that perverts a once-clean & chaste pink mascot. What did halc have to say for himself in his submission email? Only: "Regarding the title; Kirby eats his enemies.. get it?" Yes, we do. Jumping the gun a bit, in his decision, Larry took an optimistic view:

"Arrangement-wise, Andrew's becoming very consistently creative. Definitely one to watch, and I hope he keeps this great stuff coming. As far as the mix title goes, hardy har har. At least it's not 'Put It in Your Mouth'"

... I suppose it could always be worse. Shariq notes that the source theme here is actually an arrangement of 'Rainbow Resort' from Kirby's Adventure, so technically this is an arrangement of an arrangement, but in the world of VGM that's actually pretty darn common. Quite a bit of chiptuniness at play here, but there are enough modern textures and production elements to diversify things. I love the hip-hoppish, extremely beefy bassline (fat kirby) contrasting with chirping, high-end percussion (hungry kirby), and everything in between. There's an upbeat, holiday feel, a good variety of arrangement ideas, and the filtered fade ending (while strings remain untouched) was very creative and well-executed. Little bit of old, little bit of new, and a whole lot of finesse putting it all together, more or less. Palpable writes:

"One of my favorite songs from Kirby's Adventure. Without even hearing your song, I can already tell it'll be a great match for your style, Andrew ...I love your style of mixing chiptune and modern elements with detailed programming; you have a sense of playfulness that gives your songs so much life. It's cool to see some new sounds (for you) show up here, like staccato strings and some unusual percussion. Keep making music!"

Good advice. Kirby clearly wants us inside him, and this ReMix is a persuasive invitation to acquiesce to his wishes; (more) excellent stuff from halc!

djpretzel

Discussion

Latest 15 comments/reviews; view the complete thread or post your own.
UnveiledOsiris
on 2010-07-15 03:34:39

so I was about to go to sleep when I stumbled upon this mix...and I HAD to wait to hear the entire thing before rolling over and succumbing to sleep. I even had on some nice headphones, so I got to enjoy that popping bass...good tune =)

on 2009-12-02 14:01:47

The intro reminds me so much of Tetris; I can almost see Tetris bricks as a watermark behind a screenshot of Kirby: Canvas Curse. I like how there's basically two halves to this mix, a chiptuneish layer and its nonchiptune counterpart running parallel, with the melody caught somewhere in between; it makes this mix feel very braided together. Aurally, there's a lot going on here; the melody is distinct and weaving it in and out of its counterparts makes it fun to listen to.

halc
on 2009-10-28 02:58:32
This makes me feel funny inside.

( '-') you feel funny inside me

yosefu
on 2009-10-09 22:55:50

This makes me feel funny inside.

K.B.
on 2009-10-06 20:57:24

By George, halcgoo, you've done it again!

This is another head-bobbingly enjoyable remix from halc. But a simple descriptor of 'fun' wouldn't do this one justice, as the breakdown at 1:30 is highly emotive. In fact, the majority of this remix balances the lighthearted with the profound... and does so successfully. The conflict, sorrow, or contemplativeness that is incorporated is meshed perfectly with the more airy aspects. As to the lattermost, 2:41 was the capper of smilingness.

As always, the layering of and creativity in instrumentation of halc's remixes shine. As has been said, the strings were magnificent. Chiptunes, though at the front, are simply a part of the concert.

Bravo.

Sir_Snooze
on 2009-10-05 01:12:01

This has got to be one of my favourite ReMixes here. On so many levels, this is Kirby - it's chipper (and chippy), upbeat...it really makes me smile to hear it. The use of Kirby's inhalation noise really makes the beginning, too. I can't really think of anything to complain about - to my mind, it's as close to perfect an audio capturing of Kirby you can possibly create.

Many thanks for this wonderful tune!

Martin Penwald
on 2009-10-04 06:28:03

Love the intro.

Fun and cute chiptune. Arrangement and choice of synths is very good. I think that the outro is a tad too long, though.

jintoreedwine
on 2009-09-28 19:54:17

YEAHHHHHHHHHH KIRBY MIX! Honestly, I've never played Canvas Curse, though it is on my list of DS games to play (when I find the time, that is). Either way I love the mix. Not much else to say than that. I recongnise some of the source from past Kirby games and you did a swell job adding your own touch!

OA
on 2009-09-24 11:53:44

Great stuff- well chosen sounds and excellent attention to detail. Fun and melodic, the counterpoint is especially good. Percussive ideas well nice, and this is rockin from start to finish.

Nice work dude, keep it up. :-)

metalsnakejuice
on 2009-09-24 02:44:08

Fantastic work here. Loved every second of it.

JenZ
on 2009-09-23 03:21:50

Ohhh shame on me for not posting on this... I told halc personally how I liked this song, but I guess I forgot to write in here. :tomatoface:

This is actually the track that brought my attention to halc...besides the track title. :P I hope you deliver good in my project too. hehe

Dave Harris
on 2009-09-17 09:03:04

great mix! quite a faithful cover really, it preserves all the aspects i enjoy in the original track and expands on them (delicious arps!)

evktalo
on 2009-09-15 08:47:23

This is quite fantastic.. airy and delicious. Thanks for making the mix! I'm enjoying it a lot.

--Eino

..damn that angry frown..

Monobrow
on 2009-09-15 03:02:25

Hey halc, I am your new biggest fan okay? :U

Mustin
on 2009-09-14 22:38:02

Aaaaaaaaaammmmmmmmmmmaaaaaaaaaaazzzzzzzzzzziiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnngggggggggg

Sources Arranged (1 Song)

Primary Game:
Kirby: Canvas Curse (Nintendo , 2005, NDS)
Music by Jun Ishikawa,Tadashi Ikegami
Songs:
"Frozen Fantasy"

Tags (3)

Genre:
Mood:
Instrumentation:
Chiptune,Electronic,Synth
Additional:

File Information

Name:
Kirby_Canvas_Curse_I_Want_You_Inside_Me_OC_ReMix.mp3