ReMix:Super Mario World "Turning Terrors" 4:00

By AeroZ

Arranging the music of 2 songs from 2 games ( view all )...

"Professor E. Gadd's Laboratory", "Sub Castle BGM"

Primary Game: Super Mario World (Nintendo , 1990, SNES), music by Koji Kondo

Posted 2008-09-29, evaluated by djpretzel

Mr. Freij writes:

"I checked up my first savefile on this remix and it was dated 2006-11-22 14:41. Been checking on it from time to time, but now I was able to finish it. I got very inspired by a 3d-video called "Le Prince Bleu", made by a french animation company, directed by Sébastien Rossignol. You can check it up on youtube.

Just discovered the Luigi's Mansion OST and it's wonderful. Would be a shame if it wasn't put in the mix cause I think it fits great with the style.
I'm afraid I don't have any acoustic elements in this one, thought I have several upcoming projects that do. Great thanks to Gabriel Jensen who helped me with final mastering."

Very cool vid... I need to check the Luigi's Manson score out myself a bit more, but I like what Sebastian's done with the track in question, and how he's merged it into SMW. Things intro with a slick filtered beat then quickly get down and dirty with a sweet mixture of hi- and lo-fi elements. zircon's made a firm electronica mark on this material with his own 'Monstrous Turtles!,' but AeroZ has his own thing going on and a different, chippier style. This one's actually heavier, more industrial than Sebastian's regular gig, but I'm definitely diggin' it. The lead synth alone, when it not only LFO/pitch modulates but then ducks out to a widening/verb effect, and back again, is badass. There's fluke/glitch work here that channels Mazedude's tracker experimentations, and the entire experience is generally Chock Full O' Texture, energy, and attitude. Pretty much... can't think of much else to say, really - you could do much worse than coming up with a mix that sounds like a synergy of Andy and Chris, and I think that's a decent way of describing this (awesome) mix. It's crunchy, full of vitamins, and has what plants crave... it probably stays crispy in milk, too, but even if it don't, it's another great track from AeroZ.

djpretzel

Discussion

Latest 15 comments/reviews; view the complete thread or post your own.
YoshiBlade
on 2015-12-01 23:35:44

This is really just a bump so we can all remember and recognize what an amazing track this is...from 2008, I think I'm going to go ahead and mark this one as "ahead of its time" with fair confidence.

Quick edit: This was the track that inspired me to cease my lurking and join up, it holds special meaning to me.

Jragyn
on 2013-05-20 00:25:22

This is definitely a song that makes you want to kinda bob around with it, the drumming and rhythmic beat kinda makes you not really want to listen to much else in the way of genre.

Well done.

bluestreaks
on 2013-04-16 19:15:55

This is one of the best remixes on here. I love remixes that aren't repetitive. Great job!

Pyrohazard
on 2010-04-13 14:14:37

This is my favorite song from the game, cuz when I was playing it I always felt that tension from the music in the background, good times. XD

But this remix is even better then the original I WISH I could play the game with this remix in the background.

everything in this song is perfect to me. My one problem which isn't that much of a problem is that I can't find the luigi's mansion in it, other then the part at 2:43 - 2:50 unless thats the only part.

Overall this is the greatest Super Mario World remix ever!

Thank You.

Emunator
on 2009-12-22 02:23:33

I still don't know why this one is so underreviewed compared to Monstrous Turtles, I think they're both equally full of merit and awesomeness, and it's nice to see two similar but divergent takes done on the same theme. I don't have a preference between these two, but I'll say that the synth work and the arpeggios is astounding here. AeroZ is a master at that, for sure!

tweex
on 2009-11-10 17:03:57

Very cool intro with the percolating drums. Very similar to the past tracks we've heard from Seb at this point. The man does love his chip tunage. It is a bit heavier than some of the other stuff, but it still has that groove that seems to be native to AeroZ. I love how it almost goes into a Franz Ferdinand beat in the middle. Very cool idea. The variation on the main theme from SMW was great. Excellent interpretation of it. Production value is crisp and clean like always. Cool ending. Very ambiguous. Love it.

Sole Signal
on 2009-09-23 23:22:31

Huge fan of this mix. So much attention to detail, and the stereo widening effect on the lead is amazing. Great work!

metaphist
on 2009-05-23 11:37:34

Somehow missed this, but got back to it through your latest submission from FF6. Another gem, your style is really solidifying itself with each mix. Reminds me of Mazedude (a good thing!). Plus he liked it, too ;)

And I really like Martin's description of "crunchy" lol. AeroZ-crunch is the breakfast of champions, I say.

AJiLe
on 2009-01-19 12:35:35

wtf? this mix is so amazing there's no way it was created by a human. to describe it at all would be an injustice to it. you, sir, are a god among men.

on 2009-01-18 22:08:55

This is like deep fried "whoa" on a stick.

Crazy good.

I definitely like the originality of how the two themes are mixed together and how they are presented here.

Sam Ascher-Weiss
on 2009-01-12 20:47:17

Brilliant Work My friend!!

Rokin2Mordor
on 2008-11-19 15:51:11

I was totally blown away by this.

I thought Zircon's "Monstrous Turtles!" was the be-all-end-all mix of of the Castle BGM.

Then comes this…

The amalgamation of Super Mario World and Luigi's Mansion is definitely made of win!

Ranch Doritos
on 2008-10-31 18:12:20

This is totally going to be the main song played at my intense Halloween Party. Perfect for the occasion and fan based play. Nicely mixed indeed...and when i like something...it getz played in heavy rotation. xD

Thrik
on 2008-10-21 16:13:35

Absolutely love this. :)

So many quirky little details/cues, and totally brings out what I love about the castle theme. Great work!

glasfen
on 2008-10-21 16:03:34

This is an incredible ReMix. I find it very engaging, not only because I recognize the source tunes but because it moves with such a confident swagger amid a brilliantly executed arrangement. Excellent use of Big Boo sfx and multiple themes. Great work, AeroZ!

Sources Arranged (2 Songs, 2 Games)

Primary Game:
Super Mario World (Nintendo , 1990, SNES)
Music by Koji Kondo
Songs:
"Sub Castle BGM"
Additional Game:
Luigi's Mansion (Nintendo , 2001, GCN)
Music by Kazumi Totaka,Shinobu Nagata
Songs:
"Professor E. Gadd's Laboratory"

Tags (2)

Genre:
Mood:
Instrumentation: