Posted 2008-04-25, evaluated by the judges panel

We're on yer internetz, postin yer remixez.

This is djp & Larry posting live from ROFLCon, where today we met the Tron Guy in person, spoke with Matt (who has the best job in the known universe), drank up on our Brawndo, shook hands with Ian, Ryan, and a host of other Internet celebs, and espoused the gospel of VGM... until we had to crash early on two hours of sleep and miss tons of cool shit. We're back now, but have to run to catch the rest of the day's events and meet up w/ Vigilante, thus I will be brief.

Audix sez:

"I have always enjoyed this track as one of my favorite Staff Roll (as Nintendo seems to like calling them) scores. I was surprised to find that it hadn't been remixed yet, due to the great source material.

When putting the track together, I had toyed with the idea of adding acoustic guitar at select spots through the track, but the thought didn't resurface until I sent the (finished) version to Tweek for a listen. Brian laid down some guitar work that fit the exact style and feel that I was looking for. It especially worked well to provide an appropriate climax for the second time into the chorus, and then I just had to add a short Zimmer-ish segue at the very end to close up shop appropriately."

Tweek sez:

"I came into the project rather late in the game. Audix asked for a little feedback which didn't take long considering how polished it already sounded, but after letting the track loop over and over again, I heard an acoustic guitar part unfold in my head, so I laid one down and fortunately, he liked what he heard! I've been a huge fan of Greg's work ever since he released the first WIP of Devastation's Doorway, so being able to work with him was quite a privilege!"

Acoustic guitar integrates particularly well here, and the feel of a credits/staff roll piece is maintained with the upbeat, rather sugary sweetness. The rolling snare pattern is key in polishing up the acoustic rock/orchestral vibe and making it more expressive, and when timpani and strings enter and build towards the end, it definitely conveys a sense of epic accomplishment. The guit strummin' pushes the whole thing along nicely, production is slick, and in general the whole thing has a positive, pleasant groove to it. It's sorta weird quoting Larry when he's right here, but I'm doing it anyway. He sed:

"Loved the changeup at 2:15. The whole arrangement really added a lot more dramatic dynamic changes to the original and a very personalized flavor while retaining the overall structure. A very epic take on an already fun source tune, this had some great energy and really took the theme to that next level. Y'all better collab again!"

Word. That pretty much sums it up for today's ROFL-edition mixpost++; hopefully we'll be able to sell some swag and enjoy the festivities here a bit before returning to the humble trappings of RL. Great teamwork from Audix and Tweek, with Brian adding a necessary element (guitar) to Greg's arrangement for a collab that sounds natural and has what plants crave: electrolytes. Nice work.

djpretzel

Discussion

Latest 15 comments/reviews; view the complete thread or post your own.
Crulex
on 2023-01-05 02:19:05

Grand, epic and triumphant, this is a victory song done right. But the best part to me is that it doesn’t overdo it or blast in your face. More like a musical version of having that feeling of accomplishment when you succeed. Great ReMix, no doubt.

Black_Doom
on 2015-02-18 11:23:12

Oh god. This needs an infinite extension. It's so delightful. The instrumentation is so neat - orchestra, piano, acoustic guiatrs and soft percussion. I love how varied this mix is - from powerful orchestra sections it changes to more laid-back ones - with guitars, piano and soft percussion, and vise versa. This is definitely staff roll theme - relaxing, soaring, uplifting, with strong sense of joy. It's perfect to listen to during sunset. Great work!

TillyFun
on 2014-05-09 19:42:13

I mistake this for the real credits music. o_o It's that good.

It feels so good to listen to. Triumph. :3

urdailywater
on 2013-03-28 20:08:04

I didn't really remember Mario Kart's music before I listened to this mix. It never stood out to me.. but this mix in particular does a good job in taking the source above and beyond. There's a lot of emotion put into this mix, and the main melody hits me hard every time I hear it. I kind of feel like this would work well as a credits theme to a main series Mario game.

The section at 2:50 is really beautiful in particular. Great arranging here. The textures really brought this song to life.

Great job!

Thanks a lot for making this remix. :)

SomeGuyMusic
on 2011-09-07 21:13:16

This is my hands down my favorite remix on the site. I could ramble on about the technical aspects of this tune that I liked, but my love of this piece really boils down to one specific thing--it perfectly conveys the satisfaction I felt as a child when I dominated Mario Kart. This mix takes me back to the good ole days when everything was simple. Fantastic job! Keep up the good work guys! :D

OutSpoken
on 2011-07-05 02:11:57

http://reoganworks.blogspot.com/2011/01/song-of-week-285.html

This tends to be a fan favorite among the readers of my blog.

WesternZypher
on 2011-02-01 16:35:45

what a comforting mix to bring any day, good or bad, to a soothing close, with bright hope for a better day on the next sunrise.

Ursa Major
on 2011-01-09 15:04:18

Definitely one of the best remixes on this site. I've been listening to this song for a while now and it really does not get old. It does the source justice but I also believe it's better than the source. It's also just good to listen to for anything, not just reminiscing over the game it's from. Awesome work.

RECKENEFIN
on 2010-10-07 15:15:06

I know some forums might consider this a necropost, but I just joined today, and I felt like I needed to post a review for this one.

I remember when I first heard the source track. We got our copy of the game used, so everything was unlocked. We had finished a Grand Prix, and the screen stayed black for longer than usual. Then the credits popped up, and the song was stuck in my head for the rest of the day. It was probably one of the best game tracks I had ever heard.

Flash forward a couple of years (it took us a while to stumble onto the credits). I'm just browsing through the site, looking for remixes from games I know. I clicked the preview for this one and . . . 8O:puppyeyes::)!!. I think that sums up the process of my reaction.

This remix captured everything that made the original track good, and then made it better. The emotion and feeling of accomplishment is still there. In fact, I think it's been intensified. When I re-read the review and found out that the guitar part wasn't even part of the original plan, it became even more amazing. Something about the guitar/piano combo here just works for me, and the other instruments/ambient sounds give it that full sound.

2 thumbs up, 5 stars, and a couple of awards for this one!

phantasia
on 2010-05-19 07:11:42

This is one of my OCR favorites. Great percussion. Great acoustic guitar. Great piano. Great track. Who doesn't get happy listening to this.

Sole Signal
on 2010-04-17 15:01:19
The funny thing is, this song, and those who worked on it, were the reason I registered at this fine website. The reason for my somewhat impulsive joining is mostly due to the fact that I want to humbly thank those involved in the creation of this track, and to tell them as personally as possible that it touched me so deeply and so genuinely, that this song is actually on my playlist for my wedding ceremony. As I wait for my bride to appear at the end of the walk, the wonderful and magical melodies of this track will turn the gorgeous site we have chosen for the ceremony to shame, and the blush on my brides face will glow only brighter from the influence of this wonderful song.

Thank you. Thank you so very, very much.

Awesome. How did it go? Glad to have been a small part of it. :)
Geoffrey Taucer
on 2010-03-25 16:09:53
The funny thing is, this song, and those who worked on it, were the reason I registered at this fine website. The reason for my somewhat impulsive joining is mostly due to the fact that I want to humbly thank those involved in the creation of this track, and to tell them as personally as possible that it touched me so deeply and so genuinely, that this song is actually on my playlist for my wedding ceremony. As I wait for my bride to appear at the end of the walk, the wonderful and magical melodies of this track will turn the gorgeous site we have chosen for the ceremony to shame, and the blush on my brides face will glow only brighter from the influence of this wonderful song.

This is awesome.

But hardly surprising. This really is one of OCR's all-time greats.

SChepulis
on 2010-03-04 15:17:58

Brilliant - 5/5

- - -

This is one of those tracks that is so inventive fun to listen to. The source material is great, and this remix not only captures it and improves upon it. It may stand just over five minutes in length, but you'll soon forget that it's been playing for that amount of time. The ideas introduced early re appear with a little different flavor each time and keeps it sounding fresh. Wonderful track!

ashfoxx
on 2010-01-16 22:28:12

Aragorn101
on 2009-07-27 19:08:22

No matter how many times I listen to this track, it still sounds beautiful, powerful, and unique. It was a great song to begin with, but the remix adds so much feeling to it. Excellent job.

Sources Arranged (1 Song)

Primary Game:
Mario Kart 64 (Nintendo , 1996, N64)
Music by Kenta Nagata
Songs:
"Victory Lap"

Tags (6)

Genre:
Pop
Mood:
Happy
Instrumentation: