ReMix:The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past "Kakariko Prom" 4:06

By Flik

Arranging the music of one song...

"Kakariko Village"

Primary Game: The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (Nintendo , 1991, SNES), music by Koji Kondo

Posted 2004-09-11, evaluated by the judges panel

I didn't go to school dances. I was a bit of an iconoclast. This is a fancy word for "loser" to them pop'lar kids, but hey :) At any rate, though my ability to verify the authenticity of this ReMix from newcomer Flik may be hampered by lack of impirical evidence, I've seen enough celluloid depictions, ala Back to the Future, etc. to appreciate the "real, high-school flavor!" he's achieved here, albeit with an exaggerated caricature of a principal that Flik himself portrays. The shouts of "You suck" and "Link sucks" I can from personal experience attest to, however, because I still witness conversations at movie theaters and on IRC amongst certain individuals that consist solely of truncated Mad Libs, in the form of "(noun) sucks!," with witty retorts like "(other noun) sucks harder!". So yes, he's had fun here, in addition to capturing in a sonic bottle the miasma of secondary education. But fun alone don't cut the mustard - the arrangement is very competent, fits the style of a prom slow-dance perfectly, and even incorporates some nice harmony; I especially like the very end, where the flute comes in above on a nice, unexpected interval. Very tasteful and appropriate arrangement - you could criticize it for being fairly mechanical, not very emotive or humanized, but those characteristics would have made it LESS contextually believable. The electric piano, clarinet, percussion, Link's guitar, chimes, bass, and pizzicato offbeats are all conceptually well-realized. Dan. B says:

I've gotta give it to Flik - It's a very nicely produced "concept piece". The arrangement isn't a modern Tchaikovsky, but it doesn't matter. It works. The "YOU SUCK"s are awesome. The flubbed beginning picking and subsequent "damn it" is great. The production is generally of pretty high quality, with each instrument clearly defined and spaced in the stereo field. The percussion is definately a weak spot, but convincing synthesized ballad drums are a rare thing to come by. When the electric piano came in at 2:30 I swear I was warped back in time to a junior high dance. And that's exactly the point. The track works mostly because it's transporting. I can't find enough flaws without nitpicking to reject this."

Sounds about right - it would stand alone, without the accompanying audio drama, as a competent and solid, if not inspired mix, but the entire presentation here is what makes it click in just the right way. Great first mix, more on a conceptual level than a technical, but good all-around and memorable too - creates a world, tells a story. Get ready to dance.

djpretzel

Discussion

Latest 15 comments/reviews; view the complete thread or post your own.
Crulex
on 2023-09-04 18:30:16

Yeah, intro and outro skits gave me old comedy CD or Sandler vibes, and I didn't mind them. The actual mix was nice and fit the setting that it was trying to convey. Humorous and a decent mix all in one, pretty good I'd say.

WillRock
on 2015-08-11 10:05:27

Style wise, not really my thing, but I REALLY appreciate the humour here. I consider the intro and outro commentary some classic old school OCR hilarity that needs to be heard at least once. 'Suck My Triforce' needs to be on a T-shirt. Not to say the song is bad. It makes for some nice easy listening, I just find the intro/outro outshines it slightly.

Daemos
on 2012-03-30 14:38:39

Ok, I'm gonna start off by saying that I love this mix. On it' own, the song is a peaceful melody that does bring to mind close quartered slow dancing in that awkward adolescent way.

The intro and exit of the song however make it golden. and for those with sharp ears, can hear the "damn it" after the first 2 chords of the guitar. made me chuckle a bit also.

As a whole it goes in my fun list with a few extra stars

OA
on 2010-08-26 14:52:49

Principal Flik is amazing. Hilarious and creative track, with some nice additional counter melodies, and the intro and outro were super quality. Nice work dude, I think a sequel should be in order. :-D

neongirl1554
on 2010-06-06 01:37:22

Haha! The intro is so great! I like the song a lot, but the intro is just fantastic!

gwzero
on 2009-12-01 23:32:53

The moment I heard this song I thought "This would be perfect for a flash video!" I can see it now, the whole prom scene with people dancing, fighting, telling stories, and of course ganon seaking in to spike the punch. To bad I suck at flash, You should ask someone @ newgrounds.com to make one. People might like this song more if you had a video to go along with it, but thats just My opinion.

NintendoMasterGC
on 2009-06-08 00:49:35

This is nothing short of amazing. It's a pity my media playlist doesn't allow me to set a sixth star on the scale of 1 to 5, because this is one of the few songs on my list that deserves it.

Ryu2Wolf
on 2009-01-06 22:22:44
^_^ This is pretty funny [Link sucks!]. Gotta have one of these every once in a while. Truly a well done song though. Would like to see this animated or put to visuals. Nice work!
MechaFone
on 2007-10-05 22:53:40

Are you kidding me? 'Suck my Triforce'?? NOT FUNNY? I gotta tell ya, this song is awesome. The song is what it was meant to be, a sappy prom soft instrumental. It was good, I coulda danced with my wife to it if we weren't too busy playing the intro and ending over and over again. It runs along the lines of such classics as Team Gato and Needles. Awesome mix.

Kojius
on 2007-08-14 14:21:42

I like it, though it's actually very strange... The music itself is peaceful and pleasant, and the lyrics are pretty well done, but only funny the first time you hear them. A nice little novelty remix.

Flik
on 2007-05-06 15:04:31

Yay! I'm glad people are still loving and despising this remix. Brings tears of joy to my eyes!

Chickenwarlord
on 2007-02-12 23:52:07
gay, gay, gay...

...gay, guy, gicky, go, goo, goo, goo, gicky, gay, gie, guy, go, goo, gicky, guy, go, goo...

This track goes right up there with that other "Hey everyone, I'm Sonic and I'm the fastest thing alive!" crap.

If you're gonna re-mix something, for goddamn's sake, RE-MIX IT! Keep your sense of humour OUT! It only ADDS to how sucky the re-mix is!

I'm not downloading it, even though the waltz sounded "OK." I don't want my friends to hear that gay part at the beginning... SHEESH.

I take it you don't like Team Gato or Music of My Groin either.

As for the song, it is fairly standard. Nothing really leaps out, save for the intro and outro which happen to be speech.

Old Milk
on 2007-02-12 14:03:43
gay, gay, gay...

...gay, guy, gicky, go, goo, goo, goo, gicky, gay, gie, guy, go, goo, gicky, guy, go, goo...

This track goes right up there with that other "Hey everyone, I'm Sonic and I'm the fastest thing alive!" crap.

If you're gonna re-mix something, for goddamn's sake, RE-MIX IT! Keep your sense of humour OUT! It only ADDS to how sucky the re-mix is!

I'm not downloading it, even though the waltz sounded "OK." I don't want my friends to hear that gay part at the beginning... SHEESH.

Wow, way to be a complete, elitist faggot. I like that you're too embarassed to play this infront of your friends. Haha.

I really liked the intro and outro. Had it simply been the song, it would not have been nearly as memorable. Really good stuff, I say.

KogeJoe
on 2007-02-01 17:12:22

gay, gay, gay...

Jay-Zig
on 2006-06-05 12:42:06

Well, I can't say I was that into the intro/outro skits, not really my sense of humor, and the principal at my high school was one of those "Dead Poet Society" kind of guys, who was all down with student activities and the like. I know my viewpoint on the humor in this track seems to be unpopular on the forum, but I found it a bit annoying. However, I definitely respect the effort to try something original and dig the creativeness. And whoever made that "Don Knotts" comparison, to quote "My Cousin Vinny": Dead on balls accurate.

All that aside, really enjoyed this piece. A very faithful, yet unique, rendition of the original track. This really captured the breezy feel of the original while still applying an original tone to it. Don't know if that made much sense, but simply put, I liked the song. Know that!

Sources Arranged (1 Song)

Primary Game:
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (Nintendo , 1991, SNES)
Music by Koji Kondo
Songs:
"Kakariko Village"

Tags (5)

Genre:
Pop
Mood:
Goofy,Romantic
Instrumentation:
Electric Guitar,Strings
Additional:

File Information

Name:
Legend_of_Zelda_A_Link_to_the_Past_Kakariko_Prom_OC_ReMix.mp3
Size:
6,007,963 bytes
MD5:
f4c1ec694f1a90a945d8769852920f69
Bitrate:
192Kbps
Duration:
4:06

Principal Flik:

Good evening, everyone! Principal Flik here. Welcome to the Kakariko High Prom!

Amped Students:

Yeah!
Wooooo!

Principal Flik:

You all know the drill now: grab your girl, give her a twirl, but don't get wasted or you'll hurl.

Jock:

You suck!

Principal Flik:

I... eh... yeah... I'd also like to mention that Link from Hyrule High has joined our band on guitar!

Hater:

Link sucks!

Principal Flik:

Now, everyone... get ready to dance!

Link:

[plays guitar, flubs]

Crap...

[plays again, flubs again]

Dammit...

Principal Flik:

Ah... uh... a-alright, guys. Uh, whoever spray-painted "SUCK MY TRIFORCE" on my office door (Narc: "GANON DID IT!"), could you please meet me in the parking lot? Y-you're going down. You're going down hard.

Promotion

8-bit Jazz Heroes - Press Start

Latest Albums

Latest ReMixes