Arranging the music of 2 songs from 2 games ( view all )...

"Princess Zelda's Rescue", "Zelda's Theme"

Primary Game: The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (Nintendo , 1991, SNES), music by Koji Kondo

Posted 2004-06-13, evaluated by djpretzel

First, I need to stick in some words of thanks here to everyone helping out with the torrents and also all of you who 've purchased shirts - the torrents are almost up to a combined total of 20 Terabytes, and we sold quite a good chunk of the recent order of shirts quite quickly. We're working on resupplying, but your support in both arenas is really appreciated and really does help the site out. Now on to the music - the fearsome foursome, featuring Thomas Gustafson on saxophone, reprise their collective role as the poster children (men?) for more authentic (compositionally and performance-wise) jazz game music arrangements. This time around it's the lullaby theme, covered in a very mellow, Sunday-afternoon fashion with a solo saxophone taking center stage and the rest of the instruments organically and fluidly backing that up with cool, rubbery bass, a bed of grungy, greasy organ chords dripping with flavor, lovely interpretive and very free-form drumming, and guitar. I especially love the drums here - this is the type of very artistic jazz drumming that, when applied to a synthetic drum kit, really exposes the fact that it's not a REAL kit. The sax lead is of course the focus, and strikes a nice balance between mellow and tense, at times straining into the upper octaves as the other players also increase their tautness and energy. Neskvartetten's ability to take beloved, familiar game music and turn it into something you wouldn't bat an eyelash at if it started playing in a crowded cafe is truly remarkable - from the syncopation and sense of human timing on each and every individual player's part to the recordings themselves, which have a consistently intimate and immediate feel, there's a lot to like here for fans of jazz and Zelda. I can literally see someone reading beat poetry to this back in the mid 1950's, with a beret and sunglasses on indoors, the vibe is that thick. Groovy.

djpretzel

Discussion

Latest 15 comments/reviews; view the complete thread or post your own.
Crulex
on 2023-08-19 22:26:08

Not a bad piece by any means, as I overall enjoyed it and especially the sax. I suppose any nitpicking I'd have is a personal preference for certain kinds of jazz and such. Still, solid mix.

Liontamer
on 2023-02-20 01:59:31

2:54, OMG. I never noticed until now! :-D

DrumUltimA
on 2012-09-24 22:15:54

I can't believe I never left a comment on this guy after I heard it the first time. A few years too late but whatever.

This group is one of the ONLY ensembles I've ever heard that really successfully and organically integrate video game music into an authentic combo setting. Jazz actually does not lend itself well to the standards of ocr (extended soloing, which is pretty normal for the genre, normally results in too much deviation from the original source material). For those of you who aren't terribly familiar with non-commercial jazz that really puts an emphasis on art, this group is a pretty good gateway group to listen to.

WesternZypher
on 2010-12-19 14:35:54

jazz piece sounds great during the holidays - this one is no exception. Jazz and Zelda = great combination.

-RK-
on 2010-12-11 03:29:17

This is such a great arrangement, every single second spills character. I love the organ, the textures here mesh together so well. Perhaps slightly liberal, but I'd say it isn't only great, it was necessary.

Just Yes.

Serenissima
on 2010-04-26 10:19:19

For all you nublets and young'ns out there who question the use of Zelda's Lullaby in LOZ:ALTTP it may be before your time . . . but Zelda's Lullaby as been around for a long time . . . I know it was in ALTTP from which the title was given and I do believe Zelda's Lullaby predates ALTTP if I am not mistaken although its been too long since I have played the games before the superb SNES title (which in my opinion is far superior to LOZ:OOT in many aspects flame away all you kids who grew up on N64 (cause you know . . . internet flamewars make peoples change their minds :razz:)

OA
on 2009-11-20 16:52:57

Pretty classy sounding stuff, but personally I find it to be way over-noodled and not cohesive sounding. It's like for a lot of sections, the 5 instruments weren't playing the same song. Production is fine, in a washed-out jazz vibe, but overall, the arrangement meanders far too much for my preference.

Sorry guys. :-(

on 2009-01-17 22:09:51

Zelda's Lullaby was always "meh :|" for me, but this is still great.

Just good live jazz.

Also, Zelda's Lullaby in A Link to the Past?

Does this mix have the wrong info or something?

Ryu2Wolf
on 2009-01-06 22:54:13

Neat idea really. Cool ensemble. Main event sets the sax but may need a but more tuning. Very complex parts tho so kudos on who ever is playing the part. I'd like to hear vibrato on the high notes. Bass helps to smooth the band and percussion is well equipped too. Nice work so far guys!

KogeJoe
on 2007-02-01 09:53:02

I think this theme's been done WAY too much... and this is just one more time I have to sit through it...

No offence, but it really sounds amateurish. The reed breaks a few times, and the group just doesn't sound together. Also, I really don't think this theme fits a jazz setting. It would have to be REAL good, and this just doesn't cut it... sorry guys...

Great King Rat
on 2004-09-11 05:30:14

Actually... I don't actually remember LA having Zelda's Lullaby anyway.

Either way, this is a very smooth piece - well, for very, read rather. The kind of thing you'd want to add a 20's or 30's female vocalist to. I didn't like the start too much - the bass took too long to come in.

Species8472
on 2004-06-20 10:42:44

Everything about the file identification now says Links Awakening. But the fact remains that this is a Link to the Past mix. I suppose if you wanted you could say its a mix from any of the games that actually have this tune in it which Link's Awakening does not. So I've changed everything in the file to show the correct information. In OCR format of course.

Solid Krono
on 2004-06-19 03:46:20
I must ask one question - why does the picture in the front page show Zelda: Link's Awakening instead of Zelda: Ocarina of Time? The song says Zelda 64 in the file name, and so I just find it odd.

I figured the picture was changed from the Zelda 64 one because of the name "saharalahs" home coming, saharalah being from A Link to the Past, but of course, for some reason, its Link's Awakening :?

Bahamut
on 2004-06-19 02:50:52

I must ask one question - why does the picture in the front page show Zelda: Link's Awakening instead of Zelda: Ocarina of Time? The song says Zelda 64 in the file name, and so I just find it odd.

Decrescendo
on 2004-06-18 22:54:58

It's not really my style, but it's good. I listened to it a few times and it's real easy listening. Not too complicated. Overall good job!

Sources Arranged (2 Songs, 2 Games)

Primary Game:
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (Nintendo , 1991, SNES)
Music by Koji Kondo
Songs:
"Princess Zelda's Rescue"
Additional Game:
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (Nintendo , 1998, N64)
Music by Koji Kondo
Songs:
"Zelda's Theme"

Tags (3)

Genre:
Jazz
Mood:
Instrumentation:
Electric Guitar,Saxophone
Additional:

File Information

Name: