ReMix:Terminal Velocity "Proxima Path" 4:24

By Bloomer

Arranging the music of 2 songs...

"Sex", "Tame"

Primary Game: Terminal Velocity (3D Realms , 1995, DOS), music by Kyle Richards

Posted 2004-03-14, evaluated by the judges panel

So right now my new P4 3.2ghz with 2GB RAM and 320GB of SATA RAID 0 is somewhere in Atlanta, painfully slowly making its way towards Virginia. I haven't actually upgraded my main box in some time, and I'm looking forward to having something a bit heftier for most of my daily work on OCR, etc. This Terminal Velocity ReMix is Bloomer's first submission, but it's quite an elaborate arrangement, with a very unorthodox avoiding of a consistent downbeat and some creative intonation. This was a PC shooter from 3D Realms, who are now more (in)famous for developing the king of all vaporwave, Duke Nukem Forever, which has been delayed even more than my promised redesign of this site :) This mix really goes places and takes VERY unexpected turns; if you're looking for something you can zone out to, either in an ambient sense or in a more repetitive, normalized techno sense, this will keep interrupting you with interesting ideas and turns. It took me more than one listen to apreciate this variety and the way the bassline interacts with the rest of the piece, but it's really rather cool. Judge Vigilante sez:

"There is a very interesting groove to this song. The various riffs make for some very interesting harmonies against the bassline. The harmonies and the synths all give a very spacey robotic feel. there are also very nice dynamic swells and breaks. Well done."

Not your average ReMix; that's not to say it might go on a bit too long, have certain samples that you're not going to write home about, etc., but for a first submission it's pretty bold in not worrying about being accessible first and foremost and instead trying some neat stuffs out, most of which work well.

djpretzel

Discussion

Latest 15 comments/reviews; view the complete thread or post your own.
Bahamut
on 2012-10-18 19:37:53

This mix definitely has some outdated samples rough production in some ways, but it's a generally enjoyable mix that keeps things interesting with a varied arrangement.

OA
on 2008-03-24 11:11:02

There are some great ideas here, but the transitions are abysmal, making the song structure seem like a Frankenstein monster wrecking havoc. There is some nice stuff in here, creative percussion, nice synthwork, and some cool arrangement ideas, but it doesn't flow or sound cohesive to itself at all.

Sorry, gonna pass on this one. :-(

Eternal Testament
on 2006-01-16 10:12:40

Whilst I'm not familliar with the source material I am familliar with the software it was created on. Hooray for M2K!!

This track is a prime example of what M2k is capable of and Bloomers skill has done it proud. I love the altered 'Trancer' riff.

watkinzez
on 2005-12-23 01:29:38

This goes into the category of 'never heard of the game but really cool' mixes. The main melody being a thirty second loop doesn't stop Bloomer here, lots of variation present. Holds up to many listens without getting old. The use of sounds and instrumentation is pretty inventive too. Right up there with the best electronica stuff on OCR.

Liontamer
on 2005-06-29 07:40:25
It's definetly worse than the original song...

That's not good at all... nothing good :banghead:

Oh please, this is excellent. Very catchy/engaging stuff.

pmk
on 2005-03-16 11:01:20

It's definetly worse than the original song...

That's not good at all... nothing good :banghead:

jordex
on 2004-11-18 22:34:54

This is cool!

Weird! Yet cool!

It's actually pretty good!

DL it, it's really interesting!

There's a nice bassline at the beginning but then that other instrument comes in, that's where it just get's weird

The Orichalcon
on 2004-08-01 18:59:31
Interesting stuff. Actually, the main reason I downloaded this is 'cause I used to play that game. And I never got ANYwhere with it. I could never figure out what I was supposed to shoot or where I was supposed to go. While the remix doesn't really bring back floods of those memories, listening to the original certainly does. I'm not sure why I kept trying to play that game as long as I did. Man, those were the days...

A bit delayed.. but..

You were supposed to head towards the yellow dot, blowing up the orange dots as you went along to get blue dots. Occasionally you'd be attacked by a green dot, but they were easy to take down with your white lines.

The tunnel flight in that game was horrendous. You couldn't stop the ship, so you're constantly moving forward, and if you happen to hit the wall in the tunnel, well you're pretty much buggered, especially when you go through the tunnel wall and somehow end up back in the tunnel upside down, only to crash again. hehe, that was fun.

Anyway, I still listen to this mix a lot. Kudos to the mixer. It's the dotty lead that captures me.

And yes, the sex.mod filename is most amusing. :D

Disco Dan
on 2004-03-17 18:34:14
Zelnick
on 2004-03-17 16:50:22

How can I read the .mod files?

Disco Dan
on 2004-03-14 21:19:01

Interesting stuff. Actually, the main reason I downloaded this is 'cause I used to play that game. And I never got ANYwhere with it. I could never figure out what I was supposed to shoot or where I was supposed to go. While the remix doesn't really bring back floods of those memories, listening to the original certainly does. I'm not sure why I kept trying to play that game as long as I did. Man, those were the days...

Anyway, yeah this mix is weird. A lot of dissonance, but I don't feel totally uncomfortable with this dissonance, though at times it seems unintentional. Hard for me to tell considering the bizarre source material we're dealing with. I like a lot of the ideas. I like the lead synth (features @ 3:09) in that fast, staccato role. Actually, all the synth work sounds good, and very complex. The drums I'm not a 'UGE fan of, mainly because they seem so subdued and not driving enough, but then that's because I keep wanting this song to be a style that it's not. More my fault than that of the author's.

Ah well, overall cool stuff.

D

DukeNukem007
on 2004-03-14 17:00:09

Don't you love how that song has the filename it has? I think they changed it in the music archives on the 3dreams site, lol.

I've had this song from VGmix for a while, and I like the freestyle. The original songs were very good for '95, too, especially since they were locked into the pretty restrictive .mod format, and they often locked themselves in on variety by recording long sequences of instrument notes instead of just one at a time.

Mocha
on 2004-03-14 14:45:40

Roaring bassline. Cool harmonies. Lofty tempo. Definitely my kind of remix. Good work.

Al Capwn
on 2004-03-14 14:10:00

Very creative but i'm not feelin it :(

The Orichalcon
on 2004-03-14 01:23:47

Sweet, a TV remix, I loved this game, I remixed two of the songs, but that was ages ago before I knew what I was doing.

Wow this is really weird eh. It sounds like this is a remix of both the menu music and the first level music.

Menu Music (Right Click and Save As)

First Level Music (Right Click and Save As)

At least, I couldn't pick up anything else.

It's nicely done, but sounds too original for me.

Sources Arranged (2 Songs)

Primary Game:
Terminal Velocity (3D Realms , 1995, DOS)
Music by Kyle Richards
Songs:
"Sex"
"Tame"

Tags (2)

Genre:
Mood:
Instrumentation:
Electronic,Synth
Additional:

File Information

Name: