ReMix:Final Fantasy IX "Hunter's Etude-Scherzo" 2:49

By Blak_Omen, MC

Arranging the music of one song...

"Hunter Chance"

Primary Game: Final Fantasy IX (Square , 2000, PS1), music by Nobuo Uematsu

Posted 2004-01-31, evaluated by the judges panel

Original arrangement here is by Blak_Omen, which MC has taken and rearranged/sequenced himself, resulting in a sort of twice-arranged mix, not unlike the twice-baked potato, refried beans, or other post-processed food dishes, and all the more delicious for it... Yes, I'm a little hungry right now. At any rate, this ain't a mellow, peaceful piano arrangement, in case you're not familiar with the term "scherzo" and thought that, like many piano arrangements, this might be similarly beautiful, sweeping, and deliberate. MC and Blak_Omen have done something a little different, choosing source material that wouldn't necessarily suggest a piano arrangement of this nature and then following that choice through to the end. Protricity was extra-enthusiastic, saying:

"The judges tend to have higher standards for piano mixes since our piano-arrangement population at OCR is so damned good. This song does not wane in the presence of the others. It's well done."

Vigilante had the following minor gripes but was still impressed with the overall mix:

"However, I also feel that this mix is currently without an acceptable ending; there is very little resolution or decrescendo. The peak is very short and perhaps underdeveloped, and then it dies. Also, when you play this mix loudly and on good speakers the piano sounds quite synthesized. I know this is nitpicking, but with a performance like this it is a shame to hear a patch that doesnt do the player justice. "

I think those are fair comments and I applaud Jesse for mixing in some constructive criticism while at the same time praising what is a unique, intelligent, and dynamic arrangement. If you're a fan of piano arrangements, FF9, or just looking for a solo piano piece with a bit o' that scherzo style, you owe it to yourself to check out the results of this collaboration.

djpretzel

Discussion

Latest 15 comments/reviews; view the complete thread or post your own.
cheema201
on 2012-06-22 00:59:37

I really enjoyed this. It doesn't mess around, just gets the job done... and I have to go against the flow about the ending - I was actually expecting a more abrupt finish - a strong single chord, maybe played more than once but most probably I would have thought staccato.

Great all round, good fun, enjoyable, a bit mental - loved it

OA
on 2009-06-22 11:08:47

Damn, this is really intense. Great arrangement, something crazy is always going on, and i'd never have guessed the source would sound so convincing with this style. Great pacing and performance, the only thing i'd have done differently is held the last note out a bit longer.

Great stuff. :-)

evktalo
on 2009-03-06 06:54:47

This piece kicks ass.

--Eino

Lucentas
on 2009-03-05 20:42:47

This is a beautiful piece. (And yes, I am a rabid piano fanatic, but this would be a beautiful piece regardless.) I always liked the source tune and thought it would make an awesome piano piece, especially as a scherzo to capture the track's frantic intensity, and you've just really hit the nail on the head and delivered one of my dream ReMixes. May blessings fall abundantly on your head like so many cheese wheels!

ph0sphorousgobu
on 2006-12-06 14:36:48

Reading over the previous comments, I see that everybody likes different stuff. You know, some people like apples and some people like oranges?

Similarly, people's musical tastes differ. Blak_Omen and MC remixed the Hunter Theme as they saw fit. People who don't have the same musical tastes as the remixers might not appreciate it as much as some people do.

Which category do I fall in? Neither, I would fit more into the "sniveling fanboy a**kisser" category. Because this remix rocks my socks.

I downloaded this on September the 14th of '06. Since that point, it has gotten 63 plays (oops, song just finished. Make that 64) since I downloaded it. It is currently in a 3 way tie with Spieluhr by Rammstein and some Matrix II Trance mix as the most played song in my library.

Really. It seems funny when I step back and think about it. Remixes, by average joes like me (except with much more musical talent) can trounce the 5 gigs of "real" songs done by "real" musicians in my library. Remixers=the sex.

Anyways, about this piece. It's badass, to be sure. I loved the original Hunter's Chance theme, and I love piano remixes. Especially piano that can portray a level of tension and driving energy that no rock band could ever hope to match. Would I change some things about it? Maybe a little. In some places the tempo could be tweaked a little (let me explain..I know, this is a solo piece. It goes by whatever tempo the solist feels like, so it can go sloooowww fast fst fst sloooww...But in some places, I would've done it SLIGHTLY differently). Of course, I'm not the one with the mad piano/mixing skills, so I really have no idea if any of what I just said makes sense.

Regardless, this remix does it for me, 10/10, I love it, it's the best (for me), I just came, etc.

Keep it up, guys.

isthan
on 2006-09-30 09:38:48

I really can't see what some of you are complaining about. This is A MASTERPIECE.

Abstract? Disharmony? Crazy? I love every second of it. For some reason it reminds me about Daniil Harms and makes me want to be a Russian revolutionist...

DJ Skratch 'n' Sniff
on 2006-01-30 01:12:25

First off: Hunter's Chance is a great source tune. You'd pretty much have to screw a mix of it up intentionally.

Anywho, that isn't to say that this mix is bad or anything. It's solid and engaging. I quite enjoy it. If I was the kind of person who gave ReMixes ratings, I'd probably give it a strong 8.

SakakiAzu
on 2006-01-29 00:01:45

This song reminds me of some wounded soldier, fighting for his life in some uphill battle. Fighting, fighting, never winning....

Very great: 9/10

Bummer
on 2005-11-02 12:46:58

I have heard the word Scherzo before, Kingdom Hearts "Scherzo-di-notte", but I do not know what it means. This was quite the hectic pianopiece of what I´ve heard. It rushes through the whole mix, like a hunter on his loyal horse, running over the green fields and shady meadows in the chase of a Zaghnol. This shows the real power you can take from a piano, it depends on how much keys you press at once. Or maybe not.

Blak_Omen, MC, Nice work.

Grzesik
on 2005-10-22 15:34:38

It reminds me of one of my sister's ARCT pieces. It has a really neat progression to it.

MC
on 2005-02-18 10:48:31

I composed what was the final version of this remix some time ago--a time that can now meaningfully be measured in years--having never heard the original from FF9, only Blak_Omen's rendition which I worked from.

I just listened to the original, and I can definitively say that it sounds nothing like the remix I composed here. So the nay-sayer is right. :D

dj muffin man
on 2004-07-10 18:13:13

a totally different side of the piano as blacl omen said himself very catchy, great

Phycowolf
on 2004-07-09 22:00:24

When a remix gives me a vivid image in my head while I listen to it...I'ts because its good! I swear...this is pretty damn awesome! The crazy piano sounds awesome, just like Mario RPG's Waltz of pain! This is by far one of my favorite piano remixes. 9/10 ^_^

Kapuran
on 2004-07-06 16:51:40

I really liked this song. Nice slow intro, but then it gets a little quicker and disharmonic. I don't know what it is about disharmony that attracts me so, but in the end, I just thoroughly enjoyed this song. However, it was lacking something memorable, so by the time I had finished listening to another remix, I actually couldn't remember what this one sounded like--I had to go back and listen to it again before reviewing it. So I'm going to give it an 8.5/10, for it was quite good stand alone, very unique, but it just lacked that oomph that makes a mix memorable.

Dhsu
on 2004-02-07 15:03:15

If this sounds even slightly abstract to you...you really need to expand your musical tastes past the 18th century. Or listen to something besides John Tesh and Yanni once in a while. :P

Sources Arranged (1 Song)

Primary Game:
Final Fantasy IX (Square , 2000, PS1)
Music by Nobuo Uematsu
Songs:
"Hunter Chance"

Tags (1)

Genre:
Mood:
Instrumentation:
Piano
Additional: