ReMix:Final Fantasy VIII "Desperados" 5:13

By Standby

Arranging the music of one song...

"The Man with the Machine Gun"

Primary Game: Final Fantasy VIII (Square , 1999, PS1), music by Nobuo Uematsu

Posted 2002-08-26, evaluated by djpretzel

Standby gave us an FF7 mix about a month ago, and now offer up its twin, a breakneck speed jungle-techno twist of a ReMix from Final Fantasy 8. Things begin innocently enough with simple synth pad and delayed blip, building to a hit at 0'40" where the key elastic saw synth pattern comes in (sorta sounds vaguely latin) and a hardcore bass drum gets its thing workin'. It's at 1'10" however, with the introduction of hyper-rainbow-fighting lightning fast breakbeats, and at 1'39" speedy analog gurgle synth to back it up, that you get a real sense of the overall flavor of the ReMix, which is hectic and quick. Now, surprisingly for a piece in this genre and at this BPM, this track is over five minutes long, so you'd expect a significant break and some variety. You got it at 2'40" with kick and offbeat distorted 303 synth, seguing into an even more hyper section that runs till 'round 3'45" when we get back to the afforementioned primary pattern. I'm amazed, but this ain't my favorite genre, and usually any real fast techno that goes for five minutes often feels . . . stretched, but though heavily pattern-based, this worked. Lots of builds, and the main ideas probably could have been communicated in say, three and a half minutes, but it's good, speedy electronica and for those who are into it I figure the extra minute and a half or so will be sorta like a bonus treat. Slammin' shtuff from Standby.

djpretzel

Discussion

Latest 15 comments/reviews; view the complete thread or post your own.
Gario
on 2022-11-02 16:15:05

Gave this a listen today to see how a recent remix of mine holds up. Not going to lie, this track holds up very well for 2002, even over 20 years later. Solid production and some fun arranging ideas, and while the style is a little dated nowadays that means very little as far as this track's overall quality - this was the shit to jam to in 2002.

Even if there are few Laguna remixes to jam to on here, this one really held the fort well for the site.

DrumJ8
on 2012-07-04 15:08:07

coool. I like the high energy. It'd be interesting to hear a little more variation, maybe in the drums or the main repeating phrase, but still thoroughly enjoyable for me.

OA
on 2009-05-05 10:54:57

This is my kind of dance music- I completely love the hardcore speed.

The changes and additions that occur throughout are really subtle, and the sound could be a little more polished, but the energy present is amazing. Super props for doing this in Buzz, It sounds pretty great.

CZenX
on 2007-07-28 19:34:13

Wow, I can't believe people are still posting about this song in 2007. 5 years ago, me and a friend made this song during our spare time (we were still in highschool) with a Finnish freeware program called Buzz. Recently, while moving to a bigger apartment, I uncovered some old cds and remembered this song; thought it'd be fun to check out OC Remix. Gosh, almost brings a tear to my eye, ahh the good ol' days.. Well, Standby didn't make it very far (we went seperate ways after highschool) but this definitly made me want to get in the chair and start remixing again! :grin: Though it wouldn't be the same without my friend.. :cry: Maybe try to reunite Standby again? To be continued...

/CZenX, former member of Standby

Bobwillis
on 2007-01-22 19:34:20

Nice treatment of the piece. I'm glad you stayed away from something serious. 3:20 kicks ass

Fraggy
on 2006-12-26 11:53:51

Man with a Machine Gun is one of my favorite songs ever made by Nobou Uematsu, and me being a Nobou Uematsu fan makes that a big deal. This THE favorite mix of Nobou Uematsu's songs of mine, and me bing a Nobou Uematsu fan makes that a big deal. The slow start gives you a delusion and all of the sudden BAM, PIMPSLAPPED, you break into a hardcore beat. I LOVE YOU STANDBY!

Soapy
on 2006-06-30 13:36:17

You took my favorite final fantasy 8 song, and made it better. I bow in both respect and appreciation.

Less Ashamed Of Self
on 2006-04-16 20:17:01

Is the slick D'n'b snare break the main break from one of those classic DDR songs?

Dead End

or Dynamite Rave... can't remember which and can't seem to find a sample.

Kurokun1293
on 2006-02-14 01:03:25

You trick us with a slow beat...then pick us up with a faster beat, then slam the heavy stuff into us, the stuff that make people headbang. Im a skeptic about remixing this song, as it already SOUNDS like one, but you did it quite well.

arekuthelastspartan
on 2005-11-02 20:38:32

wow...after hearing desperados, i was sent raving around my room in a frenzy! this is the song that finally urged me to register on here to post replies. great work, standby. keep it up! :D

Bummer
on 2005-10-27 09:09:04

Full throttle dudes! Techno as fast as you can get it anywhere. The beats just explode in your face accompanied with many different synths, an arrangement that even if you don´t like it, your leg will still shake it with the rhytm.

Overhelming techno stuff from Stanby, at maximum velocity.

Heyo Axel
on 2005-08-21 21:09:39

The problem with Desperados, as you all have said, is that the beat and some of the synths are loud, while other synths and such are too soft. So, to truly appreciate this, you have to really crank it, prefferably on headphones. It's one of my favorite OC remixes... Huge props to the maker.

Tatan0x!
on 2005-08-20 16:59:50

I've been wanting to say this for a long time now.

Best techno rave around here.

great work standby

Carboman
on 2004-10-31 11:08:18

Kick ASS! uber fast!

Brings back that old feeling, of HOLY shit he's cool, but Squall just got hit with them giant ice things! ahhh!

hahaha anyway, nicely done.

Kapuran
on 2004-07-06 16:56:01

Nice work, I really like Standby's work. If only there was more than just the two that are out now... regardless, this piece is one of my favorites from OCRemix to date. Great work, and keep it up!

Sources Arranged (1 Song)

Primary Game:
Final Fantasy VIII (Square , 1999, PS1)
Music by Nobuo Uematsu
Songs:
"The Man with the Machine Gun"

Tags (7)

Genre:
EDM,Trance
Mood:
Aggressive,Energetic
Instrumentation: