Original Decision: http://www.ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=13296

Your ReMixer name – Navij11

Your real name – Jacob Naviasky

Your email address – jnav@nycap.rr.com

Your website – http://navij11.com/

Your userid – 20089

Name of game(s) arranged – Kirby and the Amazing Mirror

Name of individual song(s) arranged – Opening Theme

Additional information about game including composer, system, etc. – System was the GameBoy Advance, I could not find the composer.

Link to the original soundtrack (if it is not one of the sound archives already available on the site) - http://www.zophar.net/gsf/KirbyTAM.rar - 02 "Legend of the Mirror World"

Comments – Ok, so this is my resubmit… It will be that last one, I’ve had enough of this track in the past few weeks!

I made many significant changes! Thank you to your comments on the original submission, and the #ocrwip channel on the IRC. They were really friendly, and helped me through this final version.

Personally, it doesn’t matter to me whether this track passes judgment or not, as it was a necessary step I needed to take in order to become a better artist. I really worked hard on this, and I asked many people for second opinions before finally deciding to submit this, three weeks later, in its final form.

Link to song:

You can leave this link in the post, as I do not intend to revisit this in the future.

Thanks guys, this is a great thing you are doing!

-Navij11

This is exactly what I want to see on a resubmit. I feel like you fixed basically every problem we listed on the last submission. The basic groove is retained from the last version with all sorts of bells and whistles thrown in. I love the added drum fills and processing which give the song a lot more direction, the increased dynamics between sections, the new strings and hi-hats, and especially the slowdown section, which emphasizes the original melody more. The slowdown was a very good way to spice things up while incorporating the source more. I think it shows how much effort you put into this since the last version, and that effort is appreciated.

YES

The world needs more Kirby mixes. This is my firm, unwavering belief.

Such a simple source tune, but you've managed to really trick it out. I love at 1:34 where it gets a little busier. Very chill. Slowdown works surprisingly well considering it comes out of nowhere. Nicely done.

I like it. It makes me want to drink coffee in null gravity.

YES

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.zophar.net/gsf/KirbyTAM.rar - 02 "Legend of the Mirror World"

Just giving a source usage breakdown before I get into things. The track's 4:08-long.

Counting the areas where the source tune was in play but easy to hear: 1:32-1:55, 2:18-3:11 & 3:22-4:08 or 122 seconds, almost 50% of the arrangement.

Counting the areas where the source tune was in play but difficult to hear in the background: :00-:16, :23-:45, :45-1:03, & 3:11-3:22. There were maybe some other areas, but it was a toss-up.

Nevertheless, those harder to hear moments were certainly enough to nudge this one in favor of having enough overt source usage. I'm just glad it wasn't buried the majority of the time it was in play.

I don't know if my little side note from last time did the trick, but I'm just glad that we didn't receive the same mix only with 10 other instruments added on top.

I was put off by the lead-in stuff from 1:09-1:32, as I didn't see how it connected well with the next section, but I'll let it go. The source tune is in a more peripheral role here compared to maybe 99.9% of the arrangement's we've ever received, but it's there most of the time, and Jacob's built some really cool Ninja Tune-style textures around it while also interpreting the style of the original.

Awesome new idea with the slowdown section from 2:18. That's the kind of stuff I was talking about in terms of offering something new with this one, nice job! Like I was saying, especially with something like this where it would have easy to bury the source tune, you had to think on how to rework this on a horizontal level, not vertical. Smooth stuff re-upping the tempo at 2:57 before the last minute or so hit another iteration of the main verse and went for the subtractive finish.

Nice stuff, Jacob. Cabbageboy would be proud.

YES

• 2 weeks later...

agreed. more kirby and more jacob.

this improves so much on the original sub; you took the suggestions on changing up the dynamics and the groove and gave us something that is constantly alive, moving and changing. personally, i love the slow down around 2.20 - very nice touch... it changes up the track on you suddenly and unexpectedly but ramps back up into the full fledged chill drive we had been listening to. reminds me of something i'd expect on the XM channel, Chill. or maybe even on sim city 4.

in other words, killer.

the groove is still contagious as hell and the production is stellar. this is as sweet as cotton candy and i'm hooked.

YES