OCR01668 - *YES* Eternal Champions 'Immortal Souls'

Liontamer

ReMixer name : Scaredsim

Email address : scaredsim@hotmail.com

Userid : 20011

Name of the remix : Immortal Souls

Name of game ReMixed : Eternal Champions

Name of individual song(s) ReMixed : Jetta's Stage, Title Screen.

Original soundtrack (sega genesis) : http://www.zophar.net/gym/etrnchmp.rar

Thanks,

- Simon.

----------------------------------------------------------------

http://project2612.org/download.php?id=157 - 07 "Jetta's Stage" & 01 "Main Theme"

This mix definitely alerted me to how catchy the Jetta's Stage theme is. The Main Theme's alright as well. Nice-sounding intro, sprinkled with some piano. Something about the snare seemed out of place during the verses, though whether it was the tone or volume I couldn't quite put my finger on. Jetta chorus from :44-1:22 sounded pretty good. Sounded better scaled back a bit from 1:32-1:41, as well as being replaced by a different drum sound from 1:42-2:01.

Weird how from 1:46-1:51 the phrasing sounded a bit like Another Soundscape's Jade Cocoon "People Made of Stone"; just a cool similarity. Good brief dynamic change from 1:42-2:00 to give a bit of breathing room for the listener. Same with 2:20-2:43, as the arrangement moved over into the Main Theme at 2:25. Awesome use of the mallet percussion to change up the feel again, then moving over into a the synth lead with the rhythm guitar scaled back at 2:44. Great subtle changes that keep the power going, but also allow the textures not to feel too loud and too similar the entire time. Solid fadeout ending around the 3:20 mark; some people may complain, here or outside the panel, but I thought it was a fadeout done well.

Your material at DoD obviously shows some solid skills, Simon. I still think the snare could be tweaked to sit better within the track, but the arrangement was very expansive and really embellished on the potential of the originals, plus you threw in some solid interpretive writing that was nothing to slouch at. Pretty seamless piecing together of the two themes. Looking forward to hearing more of your work in the future, but here and at Dwelling of Duels!

YES

• 4 weeks later...

Bah, I had a whole vote written out for this and I closed the window :[ I'll summarize:

* Great concept, stylistically similar to doujin arrangers (eg. SSH)

* Creative instrumentation - loved the chip synths

* A little too much high end in the mix, and snare was a bit loud as well, but otherwise great production

* Well thought out structure and dynamic contour

* Excellent arrangement!

Kudos for remixing Eternal Champions, and good job overall.

YES

• 3 weeks later...

wow, one of my favorite games on the genesis. i remember when this came out and how, for its time, innovative it was as a fighter game. jetta was smokin, too

the only that bothers me in the track is the snare although it isn't the volume of the snare that irks me as it has other judges... i don't like the tone of it. the kit sounds like an acoustic drum soundfont that i have... i've struggled much with that snare so if it is the same, i won't blame you for not being able to get any more meat out of it as there isn't really much there to begin with

but really, a mix where the only drawback is the snare can't really have that much to pick apart. the arrangement is spot on (excellent union of themes), excellent chip synth parts, and all in all, rockin stuff you've got.

also, 1.45 - 2.00 is tits.

YES

This is pretty solid stuff. I'm not a huge fan of the synth lead *cough* monogilde abuse *cough* but my heart will go on. I like the lull at 1:45.

Definitely easily adaptable to a power-guitar-driven track. Nice adaptation. The synth flutes at 2:25 or so were a little on the meh side, but all in all, my gripes are very minor. The short of it can be summed up with:

I think it's a nice interpretation of the original, with clean execution. Nice job!

YES

*edit*

HA. Weed beat me to the punch by a few minutes. I guess you're special, and get 5 YES's.