OCR04503 - *YES* Plants vs. Zombies 1 & 2 "Seedrun"

Emunator

Remixer name: JSABlixer
Email address: 
Name of games: Plants Vs. Zombies/Plants Vs. Zombies 2
Arrangement name: Seedrun
Individual songs: Grasswalk and Loonboon from pvz1 and Ancient Egypt Final Wave and Demonstration Mini-game from pvz2.
Link to pvz1 soundtrack:
Link to pvz2 soundtrack: 
Comments: The intro was inspired by an intro to an indoor percussion show, though I can't actually remember the name of it. I realized, after writing up to the main Grasswalk motif (1:00-1:11), that this arrangement would work even better if I made it a medley of sorts and tossed in a few extra themes. Ultimately, those would be Demonstration mini-game, Loonboon, and Ancient Egypt's Final Wave, in that order. I also really liked the swing in Peamix's Holiday Mashup themes, which happened to include some Grasswalk references, so that's the inspiration behind the swing section. Also Loonboon just sounds like it should have swing, even if it technically doesn't. But yeah, that's pretty much it. I hope you guys will enjoy it!

• 1 month later...

Ah, a 100% 8-bit PvZ arrangement!  All the sources are clearly identifiable, and although the arrangement does move along like a medley, it is cohesive.  I'm not a super big fan of 8-bit mixing, but I believe this is mixed/mastered adequately for the genre.  Despite the instrumentation not changing all the way through the piece, it never loses my interest as it moves through the various source tunes.  The swing section is fun and I believe the original Loonboon source does in fact have swing!  At least in the piano writing.  This is a clever multi-source arrangement and I like it a lot! 

YES

• Chimpazilla changed the title to 2023/05/29 - (1Y) Plants vs. Zombies "Seedrun"
  • 2 weeks later...

Haven't had a good chiptune submission in a while! And yeah, this is a good one. Tons of fun, and everything clicks nicely.

It's sort of quasi-8-bit, since no real 8-bit system would have this many channels, but that's what lets you get a full, complex soundscape. Couldn't disagree more with Kris about either the limitations of the genre re: mixing or the instrumentation being static, as this runs through more specific waveforms than I can count.

The ending is a bit of a letdown, but everything else is great.

YES

• MindWanderer changed the title to 2023/05/29 - (2Y) Plants vs. Zombies "Seedrun"
  • 5 weeks later...

ooh, haven't had a chiptune in ages that i've judged. it sounds great right off the bat. 1:00's the initial hit that the remixer says was the main content, and that's a great bit to build a track around. the groove immediately after is also excellent. the transition at 1:32 is actually pretty abrupt, but i didn't have concerns about the rest of the transitions - for example 2:35 is great. the flutters that come in right after this are just perfect.

the beat at 3:11 was great and very catchy. that grooves out for a bit until we hit the ending, which is as MW said pretty abrupt.

this is a fun listen. it sounds like i'd expect a chiptune to sound and it's got some fun elements to the arrangement. nice work.

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to 2023/05/29 - (3Y) Plants vs. Zombies 1 & 2 "Seedrun"

I wasn't familiar with the sources, so I had to take some time to wrap my head around them and fully follow the arrangement. It's mostly the different sections of "Grasswalk", with the appearances of "Demonstration Mini-game" at :47, "Loonboon" at 2:33, and "Final Wave" at 2:58. I did also hear the influence of "Wave 1" from the unofficial, fan-made PvZ2 Reflourished expansion soundtrack during the swing section.

Great transformation into an 8-bit chiptune, with careful attention to varying the different NES-style sounds. I actually wasn't put off by the instrumentation sounding samey; if you're familiar with NES sound combinations, this is extremely varied, especially by not holding to standard NES channel limitations. This isn't a mere demake, it's a full-on interpretive arrangement with some extra themes woven in. The limited mixing was the "weak" point here, but the sound's authentic and the arrangement's fantastically spirited. Very nice job, Blixer, welcome aboard! :-)

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR04503 - *YES* Plants vs. Zombies 1 & 2 "Seedrun"
  • Liontamer locked this topic