OCR04480 - *YES* Super Metroid "Flooded Caverns"

Liontamer

Hello,

I am a producer who goes by VARIA. I wanted to submit my remix of the Maridia (Rocky Underwater Area) theme from Super Metroid for your site. I hope that you enjoy it as much as I have working on it:

The arrangement was first completed 2 years ago and I have spent the time since then making small changes and improvements as my skills as a producer have changed and improved working on other projects. It is finally in a state I can definitively call finished.

I plan to release this track publicly on streaming services and for purchase in the coming months. I know that the track will be available to download for free from OC Remix and am cool with that. My longer term plans are to release a longer Metroid remix EP for purchase, this is the first single. I am curious if you could let me know a relative time-frame for when this track would be evaluated and then subsequently released on the website?

Thank you for your time and I look forward to hearing your feedback..

All the best,
VARIA

• 2 weeks later...

Solid arrangement of the theme; I enjoyed the rhythmic changes. The textures could have been denser, but served the piece just fine. The SFX as ear candy was also a nice touch.

There were moments when I felt this was dragging out, but ultimately there were enough ear candy moments sprinkled in through the second half to give you a feeling of something slightly different that would help out. The drop off at 3:53 was a fun idea that offered something new for the last moments. Could be more, but it has its groove and plays in that space well.

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to 2023/02/21 - (1Y) Super Metroid "Flooded Caverns"

I love all of the little details that flesh out the soundscape throughout the track, it really immerses you in that Metroid atmosphere. The sub bass is thick and smooth and supports your groovy 2-step beat well. There's a lot of negative space in the arrangement, to the point where I found myself occasionally wanting just a little more padding, but your beats thicken up as the arrangement progresses, and the open space in the frequency spectrum contributes to a feeling of loneliness and mystery that works on a conceptual level. All the elements here are working well together, this is a solid debut!

YES

• Emunator changed the title to 2023/02/21 - (2Y) Super Metroid "Flooded Caverns"

Great sounds all around. For me it seemed like it couldn't quite decide whether to be atmospheric or techno-trance, but it doesn't need to pick a lane to generally work. Either one excuses the slow burn.

Good use of SFX as punctuation, which made up for not filling up the soundscape more fully.

It's no Kindred, but what is?  It works for what it is.

YES

• MindWanderer changed the title to 2023/02/21 - (3Y) Super Metroid "Flooded Caverns"
  • 2 weeks later...

intentionally fun opening. some neat sfx used. there's some really fat bass stuff going into the first hit at 1:04, and the groove there is dope. i really appreciated the automation and lfo on the lead at 1:04, it's super interesting to listen to.

the other Js are right - this is a surprisingly empty soundscape for how many neat things there are to listen to. i feel like this is an instance of the game influencing the remix and so therefore i love the concept. each element feels very crafted - the offbeat arp around 2:15-2:45 for example feels so intentionally gunked up, it's fitting.

the goose honks in the last third of the track were a bit loud and over-common to me - i wouldn't have minded fewer of them.

there's an outro at about 3:53 that is reminiscent of the beginning. there's some tail to trim off the track as well.

what a fun remix. this is a classic original and this does a great job reimagining it.

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR04480 - *YES* Super Metroid "Flooded Caverns"
  • prophetik music locked this topic