OCR04434 - *YES* Donkey Kong 64 "DK's Mushroom Trip" *PRIORITY*

Liontamer

Hi folks,

Many thanks for posting my first submission. It's a great honour!

Remixer Contact Information
Your ReMixer name: shieldeater
Your real name: Chris McGee
Your email address: 
Your website(s): https://shieldeater.bandcamp.com/
Your userid: 7727

Submission Information
Name of game(s) arranged: Donkey Kong 64
Name of arrangement: DK's Mushroom Trip
Name of individual song(s) arranged: Fungi Forest (Daytime)
Your own comments about the mix, for example the inspiration behind it, how it was made, etc.: 

My new offering is an energetic take on Grant Kirkhope's "Fungi Forest" from DK64 featuring glitchy drums and a variety of synth leads. This piece imagines a scenario in which Donkey Kong, having (perhaps unwisely) eaten a mushroom in the forest, finds his consciousness expanding to the point that it clips through the walls of his reality. Cheers!

–Chris

I had only one significant issue with this piece, which was shrillness from 1:08-1:42 and 2:39-3:31 due to the glitching/beeping effects. I can live with it, but would prefer it pulled back some.

Otherwise, fun arrangement, and it's also a nice treat to hear Grant Kirkhope's telltale N64 composition style from Banjo-Kazooie and DK64 carried over into the arrangement here. Strong use of some classic/dated sounds to achieve varied warping and warbling textures throughout the track. Aside from the beefy beats, this sounds like something Mazedude (another Chris) could have had a hand in creating, meant with lots of praise. Nice job, Chris! :-)

YES

• MindWanderer changed the title to 2023/03/18 - (2Y) Donkey Kong 64 "DK's Mushroom Trip" *PRIORITY*

Cool and unique take on this source right from the get-go.  I feel like I am in the jungle, in space!  I'm not a fan of hard panning, but it works here mostly since the sounds being panned are so similar.  I do hear some very piercy glitch effects as Larry pointed out and I agree that it could at least be EQd down a bit in the highest frequencies, but it isn't ruining my listening experience. Your ears may vary, and there are people who can hear dog whistles and they may find the glitches to be painful.

This really is such a neato arrangement with tons of energetic dynamics, interesting timbres, ear candy and good variations on the main theme.  Mixing and mastering are working well.  

YES

• Chimpazilla changed the title to 2023/03/18 - (3Y) Donkey Kong 64 "DK's Mushroom Trip" *PRIORITY*

"finds his consciousness expanding to the point that it clips through the walls of his reality"...incredible :lmassoff:

two seconds of silence at the beginning that can easily be trimmed.

agree with chimps that the panning is significant, but it's not too bad. it's got FTL-ish vibes in the intro with the synth selections especially. the drums at 0:54 are instant headbobbers, that's great.

there's a big break around 1:44, and it drops back and lets the plectral instrument carry the chord structure for a bit. similar to the first section, there's a lot of additive elements here that build nicely to a big overall sound that's pleasing and creative. the harmonies at 3:30 or so are just great and do a good job keeping it unique still.

there's another break right at 3:30, and we get some more beat focus coming out of that which is nice. another break and we get an outro that initially felt like a fadeout but redeemed itself ? the time change was creative and a neat idea to keep it fresh for the last fifteen seconds or so.

this sounds great, has a good structure and arrangement, and does a great job reinventing itself over and over again. easy yes!

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR04434 - *YES* Donkey Kong 64 "DK's Mushroom Trip" *PRIORITY*
  • Liontamer locked this topic