OCR01543 - *YES* Parasite Eve 'PMS'

Liontamer

Intelligent mitochondria, my ass.

Thanks,

Kunal Majmudar

Composer | www.ktriton.com

-------------------------------------------------------

http://www.tzone.org/~llin/psf/packs2/ParasiteEve_psf.rar - 119 "Theme of Aya" & 116 "Influence of the Deep"

Been a fan of the Parasite Eve soundtrack ever since I used it as BGM for VGF38 for Halloween '04. Tracks like "Influence of the Deep" I always found funny. The whole soundtrack has all this egregiously synthetic vox in there. The premise seems to be that the jumpy note movements are supposed to complement the ghostly and paranormal feel of the game, but it just sounds cheap. :-D Onto Kunal's mix though.

Not the most effective use of static I've ever heard, for the intro here. The piano sounding more lo-fi and distant would have complemented that idea more. As is, the static just sounded gratuitous.

Good escalation at :33 with the brass and strings (playing the supporting piano's part at :11 of "Theme of Aya"), along with a nicely-paced groove at :43. The overall texture at :54 when the "Influence of the Deep" melody came in seemed a lot quieter and less impactful than what it sounds like you were going for, particularly the strings. Was waiting for that "punch the listener in the face moment" that the buildup alluded to, and it never arrived. Great job though on making your take on "Influence" more melodious than the original.

Brass swells at 1:38 & 2:26 seemed like they had some minor audio deformations going on; was a problem in the low end for some parts, but I dunno what was causing it. In any case, nothing significantly impactful.

Nice reference to "Theme of Aya" from 1:38-1:47. Cool stuff with the strings, piano and later woodwind (I believe) at 1:48 continuing with Aya's theme. Awesome piano run from 2:07-2:26, bolstered by the subtle percussion, beats, and strings. Loved the piano writing from 2:46-3:11 as well, arranged from a quiet supporting part first found in 1:22 of "Influence".

Strong arrangement, with good textures and solid dynamics. Good luck on the rest of the vote though, as this one may get divisive. I remember talking with pixietricks about it and she said "PMS sucks. I feel all cramped and bloated." It just sounded to me like she was biased against these Bad Dudes. No need to worry about that from me though. :lol: Nothing to hate here.

YES

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

All around, pretty cool stuff. I like it. Interesting arrangement as well as interpretation. There are a few times where I couldn't help but cringe at the compression--seems there may have been a couple volume issues you may have overlooked before your final render, such as 0:45 (where the breakbeat comes in), 1:39, 2:26; pretty much anywhere there's a build and crash. it'll only bug the listener if they're actively listening for it though--otherwise it doesn't really detract.

Anyway, pretty energetic and otherwise engaging take on the original themes. Definitely good stuff.

It is, however, to my extreme regret that your intro sounds like a terrible record player. You need to fix that. Such a thing is completely unacceptable here.

NO

Uh, I mean YES