OCR04033 - *YES* Terranigma "Enigma of a Broken Soul" *PROJECT*

Gario

Remixers: HoboKa, Stahalamora (vocals) & Chimpazilla (remaster, added some sfx and compositional touch-ups)

Album: paths less traveled 

Comments:
Well I love this OST, as does everyone else who participated in the Terranigma album 'Paths Less Traveled' - Odai and a few others whom I can't recall their names b/c my memory is seriously hampered.  Prob early onset.  ANYWAYS, decided to employ Stahalamora's vocal chops in order to make a cool orchestral, sing-songy, conservative remix.  Sprinkled with the feelings of wanting, sorrow and perhaps just a hint of sexiness.  

Jesus, this is freakin' gorgeous. The overall style is calming, somber with a hint of Celtic folk in the vocals. Everything about this track really does send some shivers down my spine.

I will point out that the vocals, while absolutely beautiful, does have the tendancy to go flat from time to time (such as at 1:47-1:48). I will also note that I felt there was a little bit of a missed opportunity to bring in some real meaningful lyrics to go with the voice, but that's more of a nitpick than anything. All things considered, though, the tuning is a bit less of an issue with the more Celtic style you had going (though don't make any mistake, it IS still an issue). The arrangement is very well done, though, and the vocals fit wonderfully regardless; it'd be a crime for me not to pass this. Great work!

YES

This really is a very pretty arrangement, but the off-key vocals bothered me more than they did Gario.  1:48 is the most severely flat note, but there are notes that are off by less throughout (0:51, 1:03, 1:11, 1:30, 1:43, 2:22, 2:31 as just a few of the most clear examples).  This would drive someone with perfect pitch nuts, and even I find it unpleasant.

However, I don't feel like the issue is quite severe enough to keep this from being posted, and it's the only major issue.  It's a solid if conservative arrangement, with solid instrumentation and production.

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to 2016/07/26 - (2Y) Terranigma 'Enigma of a Broken Soul'
  • 1 month later...

I normally don't have problems with SFX, but the nature SFX opening things up seemed too loud relative to the instrumentation; not a huge deal. The recording quality or production of the vocals at :31 seems odd; not sure why it sounds so distant. The vocals were noticeably flat at 1:34 and 1:47, thought I didn't have a problem with anywhere else.

The bowed string writing first used at 1:15 is 1-for-1 with the source tune, but layering the strings and making them more prominent here (compared to the source) helped to change the texture of the source.

The Meat 'n Potatoes approach has been working for you, Alex. I still hope one day you get the writing chops to add your own original writing without the notes being dicey, but a melodically conservative approach always works here when you expand upon the composition.

Your strengths have always been holding fast to the source composition and adding in interpretation through other means. Working with Stahalamora and doubling/chorusing some parts along with the new instrumentation have all helped present this theme in a more fleshed out way. Let's go.

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to 2016/07/26 - (3Y) Terranigma 'Enigma of a Broken Soul'

Not a bad track. Nice choice of instruments, which in combination create a great atmosphere. The singing adds a noticeable personal touch to the track - they are soft with a lot of character. I will say that I was somewhat disappointed that the vocals were regulated only to choir duties however, instead of something a bit deeper (lyrical). It didn't really need lyrics, but it would've been nice if it broke out of its "ah, ah, ah" pattern every now and then into something different, especially with it being present through the majority of the song. At this point I'd also mention that the track felt quite repetitive - there were bits and pieces changing but it all felt very similar for the most part. The shorter duration helps in this instance. Production is solid - good use of stereo space, the track breathes well, no problems worth mentioning. Nice job, although more variation would've made this far stronger.

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR04033 - *YES* Terranigma "Enigma of a Broken Soul"