• Your ReMixer name: Sebastien Skaf
  • Your real name: Sebastien Skaf
  • Your website: http://sebastienskaf.com/
  • Your userid: 23598

Submission Information
  • Name of game(s) arranged: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
  • Name of arrangement: Love and Loss
  • Name of individual song(s) arranged: Wolven Storm
  • Link to the original soundtrack: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YAITI_np_M
Source Usage

The structure of the source material is an 8 measure intro, then two 8 measure verses which are repeated a few times.  I'll call these intro, verse A, and verse B.

• 0:00 - 0:18: mostly original material with the horn, clarinets and flute briefly quoting the first measure of verse A
  • 0:19 - 0:51: verse A played clearly in the piano part
  • 0:52 - 1:08: first half of verse B played by the flute
  • 1:09 - 1:28: second half of verse B played by the piano
  • 1:29 - 1:46: original material with short quotes of verse A, again by the horn and clarinets
  • 1:47 - 2:19: intro played by the piano part, with original material gradually building on top
  • 2:20 - 2:35: first half of verse B played by the flute
  • 2:36 - 2:54: second half of verse B played by the piano
  • 2:55 - end: original material with another quote of verse A by the horn

Notes

•   The source was used in game but was not included on the official soundtrack release.  It was however released separately as a single on iTunes by the composer, Marcin Przybyłowicz.  
  •   I noticed some subtle audio garbage coming from the flute in sections when it is most prominent.  I couldn't pin down exactly what was causing it but it also didn't seem to be too distracting, so I kept it.  If you think it's noticeable enough to warrant a fix I'll see what I can do.

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

First and foremost, let's alleviate your fear on this - the source being used in-game is the most important factor for elegibility on OCR. There are other factors that come into play, as well (such as whether or not the source was originally created for the game, for example), but I think you're fine in those regards, as well.

I'll admit, I personally look forward to vocal arrangements of vocal sources, but I was pleasantly surprised by the choice to instead developing the source as a chamber orchestra. The orchestration is exquisitely handled, and the instruments absolutely sing the parts. It's great.

It catches you off guard at first, but this arrangement is transposed a step higher than the source. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that, but I am curious why that choice was made - perhaps due to the idiomatic range of the instruments involved? Just an interesting detail of the arrangement that caught my eye. From what I gather the themes follow the voice fairly accurately where it's claimed to in the submission e-mail, so I feel it's safely within the site standards, as far as source usage.

The orchestration is very well done, as I mentioned before, and the humanization of the instruments is passable. There are a few elements that I felt could be improved (such as using the appropriate attack envelopes for the horns more consistently), but overall it's quite well done. I don't hear the artifacts that are mentioned to be in the flute parts, myself. If they're there, I don't think they'll be an issue to the overall quality of the arrangement.

I don't think there's much else to say on this one. It's a great arrangement, with solid orchestration. I'm all for it.

YES

• 2 weeks later...

Really nothing to add here, the arrangement is really solid, and the orchestration fits quite well for the track. I will agree that some of the instruments could have been massaged a little more to sound a touch more realistic, but things are quite passable as is. 

I'm not bothered by the transposition, but I grew up with a movable Do solfeg system. 

Quite a moving arrangement , really nice work!

YES

• Chimpazilla changed the title to 2015/12/29 - (3Y) The Witcher 3 'Love and Loss'

I quite liked this.  The instruments are handled with attention to detail in the performances, check the subtleties in the viola at 1:54 and on, just great.  Not entirely convinced by the woodwinds, and the piano is a touch stiff, but other than that everything sounds dynamic and convincing.  The arrangement is solid, and although I liked the original a lot, this adaptation works well and if the listener hasn't heard the original he wouldn't notice this was supposed to have vocals.

Again, solid arrangement with a lot of soul.

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR03484 - *YES* Witcher 3 "Love and Loss"
  • Sir_NutS locked this topic