OCR03434 - *YES* Spelunky (XB360) "Turkish Coffee"

Chimpazilla

remixer:  shnabubula

Hey, this was done at the request of the composer for the game and a good friend the beautifully Norwegian Eirik Suhrke who actually just released a game that he both scored and helped develop called "Downwell" on steam and it's really cool.

This is yet another collaboration with Mr. Gabe Terracciano who is now in his 20s which is crazy to think he hadn't entered his teens when I first started submitting to OCR. Anyway, it's a remix of the Title Screen and Death Match songs, here are youtube links
to the sources:  

Also of relatively low importance, the "huuuhhhh!" shouts are gabe yelling into his violin mic to match the sample in the original. 

Sources are handled very conservatively but there's great personalization.  The piano performance is great; as usual Sam's piano playing blows me away.  The piano sounds really rich and full, but the violin sounds small, dry and alone in the center of the soundstage as well as frequently sounding flat.  The "huh" vocals sound really out of place, dry, and tacked on.  I'm curious to see other opinions on this track, but I'm feeling like the overall mixing is leaving me flat and the soundscape feels really empty.  The ending is super abrupt.  Not quite there for me.

NO (resubmit)

• Chimpazilla changed the title to 2015/11/07 - (1N) Spelunky 'Turkish Coffee'
  • 1 month later...

I had to compare this to Sam and Gabe's Metroid mix, and I do agree that the violin does sound a bit drier than it does for that mix. That being said I do think this is still over the bar in terms of the arrangement and personalization. I can see this going either way, and if it came down to fixing the soundscape I wouldn't mind, but I think it's just good to go as is.

YES (borderline)

Both js above me make good points that I agree with (with the exception of the "uh" sound, I didn't find it out of place).  I think this one could go either way.  For me, I think the arrangement trumps the production.  Yes the soundscape can feel empty at times but I think this is a more "personal" sounding mix so it doesn't harm it that much.  The violin is a bit thin sounding at some points but the player infused a good amount of expression in it to make it work for me.  The arrangement is great of course.

YES (borderline)

• Sir_NutS changed the title to 2015/11/07 - (2Y/1N) Spelunky 'Turkish Coffee'

Great/beautiful instrumentation here. I actually wasn't too bothered with dry nature of the violin, it's played so well, and the exposed nature of its tone lends a kind of sweetness to it. The piano provides great accompaniment and a solid rhythmic foundation - jumping around on its own at times and then backing up where it needs to. Lots of great changes in this arrangement. I do understand the other judges concerns here, for me personally nothing is dragging this down.

YES

I WTF'ed at the changeup at :56 from the main theme to "Deathmatch"; nothing smooth about it, but we move on...

Also agreed with others on the violin sounding too dry but the musicianship making up for it.

The arrangement's structurally close, but the live aspect and natural performance dynamics personalized the themes well here. I'm not sure the title theme was even needed if the transition out of it was going to be that abrupt, but it's not a dealbreaker. Otherwise, fun tribute to Eirik Suhrke and a great game; let's go!

I hope this isn't the last collab we hear on OCR from Sam and Gabe, who are an excellent duo!

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR03434 - *YES* Spelunky (XB360) "Turkish Coffee"
  • Liontamer unpinned this topic