OCR03335 - *YES* Bad Piggies 'Rise of the Piggies'

djpretzel

Sound quality issues, not terribly inventive... too much verb on pizzicato relative to everything else... but your mileage may vary, see what you think!

- djp

---

REMIX: 

Remixer Name: OC/DC

Email: 
UserID: 32404

Game arranged: Bad Piggies
Name of Arrangement: Rise of the Piggies
Name of song arranged: Bad Piggies - Main Theme
The original composer is Ilmari Hakkola

• 3 months later...

I do like that you fleshed out the arrangement to fit a full orchestra. It's a pretty natural and smart choice for remixing. Overall I'm feeling like this borders a bit close to a cover in terms of arrangement, but I do think there's a good deal done with the instrumentation to add some personal flair. The samples themselves aren't amazing, but I haven't heard anything that overly fakey. Overall I do think this is a lighthearted take on the original, and I can see this going either way, but I think I'm good to let it pass.

YES (borderline)

• 2 weeks later...

When the piece opened so quietly, I was initially put off because the accordions didn't sound like they were being played quietly as much as the master volume was reduced, so it sounded pretty unnatural. Thankfully, that was only a few seconds long and once things picked up, it was smooth sailing from there.

I think DA's too risk-averse to voting YES. :-D Nothing wrong with the structure being close as long as the approach is personalized and the overall presentation is substantially modified. This was great adaptation to orchestral with lots of smart original writing additions and ornamentation. The tempo slowdown and rise from :54-1:11 was well-written, and I'm impressed and appreciative with the arrangement not lazily retreading anything, since it was only 2:30-long.

Fun source, and I'm surprised we're going to post a Bad Piggies arrangement before Angry Birds. And yet, here we are. Nice work, David!

YES

Deia summed up my thoughts on this one pretty well.  The samples are ok, with some sections showing their artificial nature more, but thankfully those are a minority.  The mix is ok, some unbalanced things of note are, as Larry said, the accordions and for me, the final bells, being too upfront and in the case of the accordion not giving a feel of the instrument being handled delicately but rather being aritificially subdued.

The arrangement is another point where I agree with Deia, it sticks very close to the original however there are added harmonies and flairs, as well as a slight changes in structure and a nice variation in pacing with the slowing to moderato, enough for me to pass it.

This remix sounds like a lighthearted and playful version of the Red Army Orchestra performing Bad Piggies and I guess that would be enough for me.

YES

• Sir_NutS changed the title to 2015/05/03 - (3Y) Bad Piggies 'Rise of the Piggies'

Well, this is definitely a lot of fun. I have to agree about some instruments and sections sounding more artificial than the others. I think what bothered me the most were the inconsistencies in the reverb. Some instruments sound very dry even though others have quite a lot of reverb on them. This, to me, was the biggest contributing factor to making some sections less believable than others. Some of the samples were also pretty lackluster, especially the piano, in my opinion. I did like a lot of other elements though, like the marcato strings throughout the piece, and I especially liked the legato strings at 0:48.

The arrangement sticks pretty close to the original, but I think the detail work is definitely enough. I still want to mark this as borderline because of the production quality though, as the reverb inconsistencies and some of the poor samples are definitely points to address in future submissions. Overall, though, this is nice work that can definitely be posted on the site.

YES (borderline)

• DaMonz locked this topic