OCR01509 - *YES* Maniac Mansion: Day of the Tentacle 'The Great Tentacle Pianist'

Liontamer

Greetings!

I recall previously my submitting my 7th Guest remix to Overclocked for the front page, but I write today to inform you of something better. A track from, lo and behold, the American Album, "Special Edition."

"The Great Tentacle Pianist"

Original by Peter McConnell, Michael Land, and Clint Bajakian

Original Title: "Day of the Tentacle - Opening Credits"

System: PC

DOTT_The_Great_Tentacle_Pianist_OC_Remix.mp3

Well, in case you haven't noticed, I've released a "Special Edition" of my American Album. New tracks, new artwork, and other bonus features.

In celebration, I hereby release my personal favorite of the new music to Overclocked Remix. The first "Day of the Tentacle" remix to grace the site, and Mazedude's first solo piano remix.

I love the mental imagery of a tentacle playing the piano. :)

By the way, I'm not asking for a front page spotlight, but if you could kindly mention the Special Edition in your writeup, with a link to http://www.mazedude.com/aa/special.htm, that'd be awesome.

Mazedude

http://www.mazedude.com/aa

------------------------------------------------------

Day of the Tentacle - 01 "Introduction & Opening Themes"

Melody in the source tune that Chris used starts at 1:33. Relevant stuff picks back up from 2:50. You should be fine from there.

I paneled this since this was Chris's first solo piano mix, from a more obscure game, and brief. The arrangement is short and sweet, but well done for one instrument.

I like the story behind the arrangement with some tentacled deal deciding the play the 88 keys. Doesn't sound quite as crazy as the story implies, but it's pulled off pretty well.

Could be a little more polished in terms of the realism of the piano's sound, but it's merely a nitpick amidst such a substantive and well-executed arrangement. Looking forward to another solo piano mix from Chris, if only to see what else he can do with the style.

YES

• 3 weeks later...

What a goofy original. I've never heard this soundtrack before, but I think I like it!

I gotta say, the ReMix is even better. I can easily imagine that evil purple tentacle banging himself against the piano keys. It's just loads of fun, and needless to say, a great arrangement. Like your Earthbound "Battling Organs" mix, this might not appeal to everyone because some of the notes and rhythms seem off. However, I see that as a creative choice that works well - not a problem at all. Great stuff.

YES

I would put this one step above Battling Organs on the enjoyability scale. There's a lot of dissonance, but this one always resolves. The notes are played in a sloppy way that reminds me of a fat guy trying to dial on a payphone keypad. I'm sure Hemophiliac can come up with a few things wrong with that analogy.

Nice work on the special edition, Mzd. I enjoyed this piece and it's a great track to kick things off for you here.

YES