OCR03105 - *YES* Mega Man 2 'The Locker Room'

Emunator

Remixer name: YamaYama

Userid: milothefultz (http://ocremix.org/forums/member.php?u=49032)

Game: Mega Man II (NES)

Name: The Locker Room

Songs used: Bubble Man

--

Milo Fultz

// Upright and Electric Bassist

// Bass Teacher and Music Theory Tutor

w: www.milofultz.com

Source:

This is a super fun little track. Plenty of source, tons of interesting details. I'm LOVING the 7/8 sections and the interplay with the regular 4/4 time signature parts. The sax playing is clean and competent. The synthy bits fit in very well with the organic instrumentation. It is clear how much fun went into creating this track. What's happening at 2:33, has a monster entered the room? Haha, cool!

My only gripe here is that I think the mastering is weak. The track peaks at -3db at the loudest point. The track could have really benefited from some better mastering, a bit of stereo widening of backing elements, a bit more volume overall, that extra coat of polish would make this track darn-near perfect for me. Still, too cool to pass up.

YES

And now for something completely different! Like your last sub, this eclectic fusion of disparate elements is just crazy enough to work :-) The saxophone is well played, if a bit rigid, and carries the track nicely while the rest of the instrumentation evolves around it. You're really crafting an unmistakable style with your work.

I second Chimp's criticisms about the overall mastering being super quiet, there seems to be a lot of empty space that could benefit from slightly more master compression. Maybe we can look at getting a remastered version before posting if this passes?

Additionally, as I mentioned before, there is a level of rigidness to just about everything... the timing is almost too perfect, giving this a bit of an inorganic feel despite being a live performance. I suspect that this was an intentional choice, but it stuck out a little sorely to me nonetheless.

Easy call though, keep 'em coming!

YES

Words fail. Can I just leave it at that?

Oh, I can't?

Okay.

I do agree with it being a bit quiet, as I definitely had to push the volume on my computer a bit to hear it properly (and, as an aside, I'd be willing to do a slight mastering job on it if you're willing to trust me with that wav file), but that's not a dealbreaker.

Otherwise, it's an imaginative, artistic, well-crafted piece of video game music that I am absolutely thrilled to stamp my approval onto.

YES