OCR03115 - *YES* Viewtiful Joe 'Not Your Above-Average Joe'

Chimpazilla

Your ReMixer name: Ivan Hakštok

Your userid: 43292

Name of game(s) arranged: Viewtiful Joe

Name of arrangement: Not Your Above-Average Joe

Name of individual song arranged: Standing Ovation -

Composers: Masakazu Sugimori, Masami Ueda

Your comments about the mix: This is a song I made for the February 2014 Beat 'em Up month on Dwelling of Duels. While I didn't really like Viewtiful Joe, I thought the game had a good soundtrack.. This was probably the only entry starting in a major key (and I'm widely known for loving major keys xD). The song ended up being 6th in what was probably the closest competition in recent DoD history (17 out of 19 songs were rated "above average" or higher). I was also spot-on with the title, the song was rated as "good" rather than "above average". :P

The source usage is pretty straightforward, but there's some piano, synth and guitar wankery added, hopefully enough for this not to be considered a cover :)

• 1 month later...

You've got a great knack for picking out sources that complement your style, Ivan. It's like I can listen to a source and instantly imagine how you would re-envision it in your own fashion.

This is a quality arrangement that is admittedly straightforward, but I can comfortably say that you went far enough with original writing, solos, and alterations to the structure that the conservativeness is not an issue for me. Other than that, I really don't have anything to say other than declare this another classic entry into your ever-growing catalog of catchy, enjoyable, major-key rock-outs!

YES

• 2 weeks later...

Good stuff here from Hakstok. Very tight performances, great drum writing.

As Emu mentioned, as a whole, the arrangment doesn't heavily deviate from the original progression, however, there is a lot of personalized touches throughout, original soloing, as well as revamped percussion to take it from a techno-y rock song to more traditional rock. Great soloing work, by the way.

Breakdown for completionist sake:

:00 - :23 OST main melody

:24 - :32 Rhythm guitar continues pattern from rhythm guitar in original

:33 - :39 Original

:40 - :45 Rhythm guitar backing pattern again

:46 - :55 OST second melody section

:56 - :59 Original

1:00 - 1:24 Bridge melody from :58 in OST

OK, forget "completionist," I'm taking it any further than this - that's about half the song and it's nearly all referencing the OST. :tomatoface:

One gripe on production: the drums had a dull tone to them, which gave them a bit of a muffled tone and prevented them from cutting through as well as they could.

Great stuff.

YES

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Agreeing with the other judges here; I like how you sped up the original, it gives the song a little more pep and is a lot of fun to listen to. Justin mentioned the drums and Kris the bass, I'd like to mention that the guitar feels a bit forward in the soundscape compared to the other elements. A touch more balance between the parts would have been nice, but I don't feel like it is a huge deal.

Nice work here!

Good (or rather, YES :)