OCR03079 - *YES* Seiken Densetsu 3 'Dragonfireplace'

Chimpazilla

Remixer: Rozovian

Yo joojes, #21613 finally subbing something again. :D "Dragonfireplace". It's a little more festive than Dragonfood. Sources: Witchmakers, Weird Counterpoint from Seiken Densetsu 3. NOT part of the sd3 project.

I made the stupid decision of choosing a mostly non-electronic direction for the sd3 project before I was actually any good at stuff that wasn't blatantly electronic. This was a nice departure from trying to mix all the world instruments and acoustic drum samples and guitars and whatnot I've gone for in my project mixes. (Coming soon. Very soon.)

For the past few years, I've always remixed something Mana-related for AOCC, sort of as a little promotion thing for the sd3 project, and I suppose to keep mana fans over at seikens.com and possibly other mana series fan sites interested in what ocr's working on. I've exhausted the most obvious winter sources already, so now I went for the theme of the summer-y Altena in the Snowfields, along with that of the nearby Dragon's Hole, for something vaguely winter-related. The latter inspired the name.

Shoutout to zircon for his complextro tracks which inspired the style, even though my take on it doesn't quite resemble his. My production is a bit harder than my usual stuff, which might be a good thing. We'll see.

I somehow suspect this won't get posted this year. My last winter track got posted in July. Instead of wishing anyone a merry xmas, have a nice summer instead. :D

• 3 weeks later...

Plenty of source here, very groovy take on these two source tunes. There are tons of fun little details in this track, cool sounds, glitching and effects. I'm loving the little wublets and triplets thrown in, lots of cool stuff. Drums sound great, kick is satisfying, hats are nice and wide, snare work is good although the snare timbre gets a little lost against the saws.

Hard production, check. Some of the sounds are very mid-high heavy. It is consistent though, a stylistic choice to be sure. The track is mastered rather loudly, not a lot of dynamics except in the intro and outro. The energy and instrumentation stays similar all the way through, and it's a long track, so it ends up sounding a bit samey. Track feels long for what it offers, and near the end I'm really sort of tired of that main motif. The "yah-yai-yoi" bits definitely get old after awhile.

So yeah, a little long, a little repeaty, but tons of detail, cool stuff.

YES

Edited by Chimpazilla

• 4 weeks later...

I think it's pretty great. Strong, consistent production throughout the track. Lots of little embellishments to keep things fresh, without getting carried away. Some really great syncopated bits. Also a pretty seamless integration of the two sources. Love it. I do hear what Kris is talking about with the length; around 4:30 it might be getting a little long. Still, excellent mix.

YES

• 2 weeks later...

The sound choices in this are pretty unique, I'm really enjoying the overall soundscape here. I do think the balance could use a bit of tweaking; the track feels overall a little muted to what it could be. Bringing up the leads a touch could be the difference here. Kris is right that there is a lot here in the mids, and spreading things out a bit more might also make a difference.

That being said, I think the arrangement is a ton of fun, and I don't think the balance is a dealbreaker here. Good to go, IMO.

YES

Some of the criticisms that Kristina brought up definitely irked me a bit - the length of this track coupled with the overly-catchy nature of the original melody really grated on me over time. I think this would have been better off being about a minute to a minute-and-a-half shorter, but that may come down to personal taste, on some level.

That said, I appreciate the lengths you went to keep the details varied throughout the song, there's a lot of wonderful personalized tweaks keeping this fresh. You have a ton of great ideas laid out here, and the production is only slightly flawed and more than does justice to the arrangement at the end of the day.

Definitely not my favorite mix from you, but I admire what you did here and I have no real problem signing off on this! Good to see you submitting again.

YES