OCR03056 - *YES* Mega Man 'The Iceman Clubbeth'

Chimpazilla

Hi, this is Thaddeus Jaworsky with another Megarockman song for ya.

website for song (including lyrics):

Remix Artist: MEGAROCKMAN

Song name: The Iceman Clubbeth

From game: Mega Man

From stage: Iceman

Inspiration:

This theme called for a cool jazz/lounge tune. While singing, I held a glass of half-melted ice cubes that I'd occasionally shake around near the mic to give that cocktail lounge feel... as if the singer were drinking a scotch on the rocks while performing in some ice cave / secret jazz cove.

Story: This song portrays Ice Man as a blood/fur thirsty arctic dweller who brutalizes a variety of aquatic mammals... as well as any other creature he happens to come across, I'm sure.

Please enjoy!

-THAD

Edited by Chimpazilla

Vocal-hate doods come on out! Haha! I paneled this for a few reasons. The idea is super creative, source a-plenty, and the backing instrumentation is very cool. The piano is a bit mechanical in timing and velocities. The mixing could be a little bit cleaner, but generally it sounds pretty groovy.

I think you may have overdone it with the icecubes, it sounds like it was done purposely. Maybe adding a little audience sfx might make it feel more realistic?

I think the lyrics are hilarious and the whole concept is cool, but the vocals are just too loud compared to the rest. For kooky vocals like this, the less "in your face" the better! I'd recommend lowering the volume, and taking a bit of the low end out of it, if the vocals fit in better it's going to sound a lot different.

edit 9/6/14: Ok so I won't hold this up. The mixing issues and ice cubes aside, it is a fun, creative track.

YES

Edited by Chimpazilla

• 1 month later...

This probably would have been better if you performed it at a real English pub.

*cough*

Anyway! I think it's just fine. Volume levels could probably use a little bit of tweaking and I agree that maybe the ice cubes were a bit much, but the performance is great and the instrumentals are really good. I think it's a nice, creative take on the theme. I like it!

YES

Haha, I like this. I feel like it takes a certain amount of intestinal fortitude to put out a mix like this. Done well, it's (intentionally) amusing and a fun listen. Done poorly, and it just comes off as if you're trying too hard and can be a bit embarrassing. Fortunately, this one falls in the former category.

Great arrangement here, incorporating it both in the backing instruments and vocals. Nothing really to add there.

I agree that the piano was slightly mechanical, though helped by the tasteful room reverb. I agree the ice cube effect was a bit overdone, but not a big deal to me. I'd add that the ending was a little sudden for my tastes. Vocal balance didn't bother me TBH. They're the feature of the song, so I'm fine that they're so prominent.

But yeah, a very creative, fun listen.

YES

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, the ice cubes are obnoxious with how much they've been used. And yeah, the vocals are perhaps just a *teeny* bit loud in the mix. But dagnabbit, this is a FUN song, and I love the way you've treated the source. Slowing down the melody to create the cocktail vocal line is great. The instrumental track is well-mixed. The vocal delivery, while not flawless, is delivered with confidence and that makes up for a lot of nitpicky stuff.

Enough talk, let's see this on the front page!

YES

For a 2:50-long piece, I needed at least 85 seconds of overt source usage for the VGM to be dominant.

15.5-:28, :33.75-:50, 1:27.25-1:44, 1:58-2:12, 2:25-2:38 = 72.5 seconds

The piano chords used at the opening and during the sax soloing also played the Ice Man progression, only simplified, but I made the connection there as well, so I'm fine with the source usage.

That shuddering vibrato will definitely make some other listeners shudder. :lol: It didn't bother me... a ton, but it'll definitely rub some people the wrong way. Keep in mind, the context is that he's a washed up lounge singer. With awfully cheesy lyrics to boot.

I'll also join in the chorus of people saying the ice cube SFX was too much for too long, but it didn't affect my vote either.

Unexpected and interesting approach going the comedic lounge route. Props for a fun curveball, Thad!

YES