OCR03014 - *YES* Sonic 3D Blast (GEN) 'Enigmatic Melody' *RESUB*

Liontamer

4th time's the charm? - LT

Resub 2

Resub 1

Original decision

Name: Arceace

Game: Sonic 3D Blast (Sega Genesis version)

Title: Enigmatic Melody

Original track: Rusty Ruin

Link:

Comments:

I'm throwing this one at you again! I've focused solely on increasing the production quality and mixing of the final track this time around. I would really like to thank timaeus222 , SuperiorX, and G-Mixer for giving me some wonderful feedback on the WIP forums.

-Arceace

----------------------

The core layered clap beat first used at 1:45 was a bit repetitive over the long haul, and there was something there that didn't 100% fit the track.

That said, things worked well overall re: the instrumentation; WAY better than a lot of the generic sounds from last time. On top of that, the arrangement evolved nicely. It's much better than the first time I heard Ben's take on this theme, which was the 3rd version submitted.

Besides weak instrumentation, the other core issue I had at the time was the lack of dynamic contrast, and a LOT of that was addressed this time around, from the ethereal build starting it off to the gradual escalation of the theme at :56, then the further build at 1:20, finally peaking at 1:45. Things are much more carefully, purposefully structured here, and it's wonderful to hear Ben's perseverance pay off. :-)

On the minor side, the fade down at 4:37 was too fast; tsk tsk, don't ignore the small details.

Ben, keep it up! Nice job using the Workshop and community to lift this up to a higher level. You're not 100% consistent from sub to sub just yet, but I'm really liking what I'm hearing when it comes to your growth as an artist. It's only going to keep getting better, so keep your attitude positive, and keep on sending good stuff like this!

YES

• 1 month later...

Sticking with it really paid off here. I love your opening build, and while things never get super thumpin' in terms of energy (it's not meant to be) you've done a great job of adding a lot more life since your original sub. There are a lot of little details and intricacies that really bring this together, and I can definitely tell that you've spent a ton of time working on the tweaks that, while not overtly noticed, really push it over the bar.

Kudos!

YES

• 4 weeks later...

Lovin the intro. Mood +1.

Sweet, funky bass synth. Doesn't stray too far from the original structure when the initial bass & lead kicks in, but this evolves really nicely over time. Piano interlude was a good idea and sounds really nice contrasting with the dryer beats and bassline. As a matter of fact, the overall progression was really intelligently handled here to keep it fresh. Great synth palette here as well.

On a few minor gripes, it sounded like the clap/snare was a bit on the weak side. Also gonna agree with Larry that a longer fadeout would've been better. Little tip: not sure what DAW you use, but in FL I usually draw a double automation curve for fadeout envelopes. It basically resembles a backwards "S" so the sound fades to about 40% fairly quickly, but then more gradually fades from there to 0%.

Way to stick with it. Really love this track. :nicework:

YES

This is my first time hearing this, so I can't compare it to previous versions. Love the intro, it takes a lot of skill to make such a subtle build that smooth. Even though the song proper doesn't kick in till 1:45, it never lacks direction - you can tell that it is building towards something. I was expecting something fuller at that point, but the sparse shuffling beats were an interesting twist. As I kept listening, it grew on me and when the piano came back in, it really clicked. Hard to believe this is a fourth resub, because this is an easy YES. A beautiful, confident song with some risks taken.

YES