OCR03516 - *YES* Final Fantasy 9 "Fixations"

DragonAvenger

This is a project mix for Fishy's and Brandon Strader's Final Fantasy IX remix album. You know the drill or something

Contact Information

Your ReMixer name - RiverSound
Your real name- Markus Samuel
Your email address - 
Your website - none yet
Your userid (number, not name) on our forums, found by viewing your forum profile - 46930

Submission Information

Name of game(s) arranged - Final Fantasy IX
Name of arrangement - Little Old Fixations
Name of individual song(s) arranged - Ceremony for the Gods

The idea for this arrangement came about when I thought to myself, what if "Ceremony for the Gods"/"Before the Altar," the theme of the fake wedding scene, was a real wedding song in Conde Petie that always plays in the background during the ceremony? I then put myself in the shoes of old bachelor dwarves who would have arranged the song for folk instruments, so that they could gather at the local inn and vent their loneliness by playing their somber version of the song. Now what would it sound like? It was a fun little setting for the remix and gave me a chance to experiment with tavern-style folk.

It didn't turn out as authentic as I had planned and it may not have that live performance feel to it, but I think the atmosphere remains true to the concept. I decided to exclusively use nylon guitar for this track because of its mellow old-school sound and pairing it up with melodica created a satisfying soundscape out of simple ingredients. Arrangement-wise, it certainly ended up on the liberal side of things, but I think it works in the context; it's a folk song, played by ye olde folk, so oftentimes they just come up with new stuff as they go. It's played a little differently every time!

-------------------------

When Markus sent me the first draft it was even more liberal then this. I've never been a fan of that approach so I tried to make it clear that the source has to be there, and it's definitely on the borderline but does just enough for me or I wouldn't have accepted it onto the project. I think the intro being very close to the original helps quite a lot in making the connection more obvious.

I love it when people try and bring more live instruments to OCReMix as there is definitely not enough. Really good effort on that front, good performances and reasonable recording quality. It's very easy and to listen to.

YES

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

You know, people bitch about when OC ReMixes don't fit the mood & instrumentation of the original pieces, but when they have a closed-minded attitude, they miss out on gold like this.

Yeah, the piece was definitely on the liberal side, so I needed to time it out and not count any flourishes that, while nice to listen to, were arguably too liberal in the treatment of the source.

The music was 3:22.5 long, so I needed more than 101.25 of overt source usage for the source material to be dominant. Here's what I timed out:

:03-:18.5, :49.5-1:08.5, 1:11-1:36.5, 1:41.5-1:45.25, 1:49.25-1:55.75, 1:56.75-2:00, 2:04.25-2:15.75, 2:51.5-2:58.5, 2:59-3:05.75, 3:06.75-3:13.5, 3:14.5-3:17.5 = 101.5 seconds or 50.12%

One could possibly count the droning-style approach of :18.5-:44 as inspired by the intro or the first note of the melody, but either way, I would have let that different style usage of the intro's drone push me over the top if this was a few seconds below my count. Turns out it checked out over 50% anyway, slim as it was. You could probably count a lot of the flourishes as source usage on some tangential level, though they were pretty indulgent and hard to A-to-B with the source. :-)

Anyway, that's just getting down in the weeds for the folks that care about the source usage (everyone should) and want to understand where exactly the theme is heard.

On the arrangement & performance side, this was just transcendent, amazing work. Markus, you have a new fan. This is exceptional and such a fresh spin on a very underappreciated theme from FF9.

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR03516 - *YES* Final Fantasy 9 "Fixations"