OCR01358 - *YES* Final Fantasy 6 'Little Painter Girl' *RESUB*

djpretzel

methinks this version *is* improved... -djp

LT Edit - Original decision: http://www.ocremix.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=36935

Hello,

I submitted another version of this about ten months ago. It was piano and drums back then. Now it's more of a "film soundtrack", as the people on the WIP boards are saying.

The remix can be downloaded here:

Game remixed: Final Fantasy 6 (SNES)

Song Remixed: Relm's Theme

My name is Adam Dachis and I have a web site here: http://www.adamdachis.com

My e-mail address is: adachis@lina-x.com

My user id: adachis

I think that is everything.

Thank you!

- Adam

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.snesmusic.org/spcsets/ff6.rsn - "Relm" (ff6-219.spc)

Never heard the old version, but I enjoyed this one. I see you didn't scrap the drums! Very light but militaristic feel. It's cute and upbeat in its way. Heard a really obvious flub on the support from 1:37-1:38, but otherwise everything was engaging and flowy.

The arrangement was put together nicely and the prodcution was beautiful; everything was well-seperated and clean and layered together nicely. Short and sweet take on Relm, Adam. Subtle and quaint, yet ultimately impressive. Other Js may have some comments/suggestions on where to improve, but I've got nohing particularly negative to speak of. Very capably performed.

YES

very positive feel to this one.

This song feels extraordinarily monotonous and here's why:

The dotted quarter, dotted quarter, quarter rhythm is incredibly prominent in every measure and it NEVER CHANGES. There's nothing wrong with that rhythm, but from about :20 on it defines the rhythm section and it gets soooo boring. the song is short. add some new ideas, some new rhythms. the mix is short. you can afford to explore more.

also there are some bad notes around 1:40. akward.

NO

The supporting instrument samples are really great for this piece. The snare work is reserved but as Larry says it’s “cute” and very enjoyable. The periodic low toms add touches of an epic vibe that is accented by the bubbly reverb poured over all. The piano sample is really nice but the sequencing is slightly mechanical in some sections (0:25-:040, 2:06-2:18, 2:26-2:40). For a piece that highlights the piano, some more attention could have been paid to that area.

The piano chord at 1:32 followed by the kick and snare shot is a favorite part of mine and introduces a really fun section. You know, I’m going to give Adam the benefit of the doubt and say that the strange resolution of the harp’s melodic line at 1:38 is intentional. After listening a couple of times it’s quite interesting and I’ve never felt that it was bad, just different considering the other pretty straightforward melodies.

Pretty cool expansion on the original with loads of additional emotion and intrigue. I haven’t heard the original version but I think it would have been a mistake to drop the drums. Without them, a lot of the mood in this remix would mirror the original. The rhythm does stay pretty constant as Jesse mentioned but with this short mix I don’t think that it’s too much of a problem.

FF6 has produced some of my favorite OCR mixes and I think that this would be a great addition to the FF6 heap-o-remixes. Nice work Adam.

YES

This is quite possibly the best arrangement I've heard of this source material. I agree with DJP that the key change sounds very Thomas Newman, and imo the whole piece in fact sounds very newmanish. The rhythm as noted does tend to get a little repetitive, but luckily it's good to begin with, and ultimately very interesting.

Instrumentation is spot on, but I'm not really crazy about the snare line or having snares in the piece at all. I think it would have stood on its own better without them. The rest of the instrumentation is great though and more importantly they blend nicely together.

Production is above average. Not much more to say here, this is lovely work and an enchanting listen. YES