OCR02250 - *YES* Streets of Rage 'Bare Knuckle Blitz'

OceansAndrew

Remixer: WillRock

Name Of Remix: Bare Knuckle Blitz

Games Remixed: Streets of Rage 1 and 2

Comments: Heroes Vs Villians. OCR vs Bad Dudes. WillRock Vs Zyko. oh shit. As you have probably gathered, in a head to head I'm screwed, but personally I prefer my sources to his so hahahaha.

The idea here was to be big. Big sounds, big production, big beatz, big solos blahblahblah etc. Now, in the name of Axel Stone, go and beat up somebody you hate and make sure you play this music while doing it.

....just kidding :P

Sources Remixed: Go Straight http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVYx0OgWdbE, Fighting In The Street http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oa-YTlgPtKY

Plenty of good things going on in this track. Percussion sounds pretty good, although the snare could have a little more punch to it. Synth choices are sound, and reminiscent of Koshiro's style. I would have liked a little more low end to ground things a bit better.

Random note: That weird yelping section is pretty neat!

In terms of arrangement, I don't think there's anything really wrong with this, but I'm noticing a lack of build in this track. Once it gets going, it does just that, but there isn't much that changes the energy level once it gets there. Instruments change around, but somehow, this all feels the same. I don't exactly know how to describe it, but I feel like it's pulling the track down a bit. Maybe it's the steady drum patterns that don't change very often, and/or the very similar background through a lot of it.

It seems like I'm being pretty hard on this, but honestly it's a good track and I definitely think it's over the bar. I just am being nitpicky because I know you can pull your game up to that level to make your future tracks great. Hope to see you really knock the next one out of the park!

YES

Pretty nice arrangement, though it's a little bit relentless for the source material, I think a breakdown section where it hit halftime and toned it down a bit would have been nice, but it's still good.

Production-wise, It's a little packed, but there's some good panning and details that make it work, it was most noticeable for the guitar solo, i think pulling back a little more on the upper-high EQ while that was going on would let it cut through a bit more, but it was still audible.

Overall not your strongest track ever, but above the bar. Nice work.

Yes

• 2 months later...

Man, where's the low-end in this? This totally doesn't have the fullness it should have. Apart from that, I thought this was pretty cool. Didn't get the same "lack of build" vibes that Deia got - I thought it progressed nicely and had the synth craziness that listeners crave. I wouldn't say I'm a conditional YES, given how enjoyable the track is, but I strongly suggest upping the low-end on this to really knock it out of the park. I'll probably e-mail you about it.

Edit (3/18 ): Spoke with Will about this, not sure low-end is the problem necessarily. He sent me a version with more low-end and whatever gap I was hearing was still there but it sounded muddier. He wants to go with the original version so we'll go with that.

YES

• 4 weeks later...