OCR02072 - *YES* Diddy Kong Racing 'Shiva Nataraja'

Liontamer

Remixer name: Guifrog

-----

Game arranged: Diddy Kong Racing

Song arranged: Taj's Challenge (source link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sbp-SZ62OEw)

Ribbit!

As you might notice, I pretty like to mix world rhythms with electronica. This time, I chose the indian beat to create a nice dancing tune!

In Hinduism, Shiva refers to one of the 3 gods that control universe on a certain aspect; he's the "destroyer" or "transformer", while Brahma's the "creator" and Vishnu, the "preserver".

Shiva can be represented in various kinds of symbolism, one of them being Nataraja, which can be translated as "Lord of Dance". So, in order to maintain a cycle, Shiva performs his dance to destroy an old and overused universe, allowing Brahma to start the process of creation.

There's a moment on this remix that I tried to represent Shiva's dance, which is the percussion solo, that gets more and more aggressive as it goes. Once it ends, a few keys re-appear to make a transition to the chorus, that comes in like Brahma's new beginning. You can see the song kinda spins in a cycle, but a key's never exactly the same as another. And I need the song to end, so I re-used the :36 part with a few adjustments =P

That's it... Hope you like it ^^"

--------------------------------------------------------------

The samples aren't blowing me away by any means, and some of the mixing is a little off (the low end seems a bit lacking), but the arrangement in itself is pretty hot. The added spacing in the chord rhythms is excellent, and really drives the track. I wish the kick was a lot more punchy though- it's is exceptionally weak right now, and the track could easily go from good to great just with that change alone.

Really I think the arrangement is completely amazing, but the execution could be a little stronger. It's a pretty even race, and I would really love for it to be revisited with a much stronger kick, but even with a few weaknesses, the arrangement carries this.

Yes (borderline)

• 2 weeks later...

I can start by agreeing with OA; the arrangement is fantastic, and I really enjoyed listening to it. There's plenty of source, as well as great transitions and embellishments. The dance section also works really well, especially knowing the context. The arrangement is what really brings the track together.

I'm not as beat up about the samples as Andrew, but I agree that they are not the greatest, and if they were upgraded it could make the track that much better. The mixing I can agree with; the lack of bass at times can unbalance things, although at times it works sans low end.

Really good arrangement, and with some sound/mixing improvements this could be really good, but it's still there as is.

YES

• 3 weeks later...

I can pretty much copy/paste the last two votes. Arrangement is excellent, samples could be stronger, kick should definitely be more hard-hitting, but because of the strength of the arrangement, I'm fine with passing this. There's a lot of small details in this that really captured my attention, but it's still well-written from a broader scope too. Glad to see this fine game getting some love on the site.

YES

Like previous voters said the production is a tad uneven. The kick could have more presence, the bass could be a bit quieter but with more low-end and the samples are of varying quality. Overall it's a neat little package though, nothing that REALLY holds it back. Arrangement is moderately interpretive, enough variation to keep the listener on the edge too and the changes in instruments are very nice (accordion? sweet!). The percussion-only part is a bit long but nothing that ruins the track.

Basically the production isn't all that but in my opinion it doesn't hold the track back from a pass. The arrangement is interesting, interpretive and the track overall is a good listen.

YES