OCR01060 - *YES* Dragon Warrior 'Kingdom Come' *FT*

Beatdrop

Wow, our second Dragon Warrior song from Unknown. I'm starting to suspect that 'Unknown' is an actual person !111!!!1!1!1!

Anyway, The good ole' DW theme here.

WoW ! Lots of arrangement going on. Original stuff, and DW theme stuff. This is pretty solid. There are some messy sections, but wow. I'm impressed here.

Clipping at 2:25

A nice DW medley. This is getting a Yes for now, though I"m not too sure about that clipping part..

YES

Couple problems that jump out at me:

1) Absolutely zero attention is paid towards performance- no dynamics, articulations, subtle tempo changes. The piece just sounds very mechanical

2) Problems with the soundfonts. I'm guessing you're using WTOboe (I think that's the name of it anyway)- that font has looping problems, and it's evident in this piece. You'll notice that some of the oboe notes start to "pop" when they loop (3:54 for example)- you *really* need to fix that.

3) Given that this is a electronic composition, I won't get too picky on orchestration, but still, it sounds a tad strange that you have bells as overpowering a blaring brass section, choir, and snare (:50).

4) The form of the piece is questionable- constantly using full stops hurts any forward momentum that you may have built up. It's perhaps more satisfying (but certainly more difficult) to try to maintain tension throughout and not give in to premature...climaxes (*cough*)

Ok- so I find this to be a largely flawed work. But, I can tell that a good deal of work and thought went into this. It's a decently enjoyable piece, and I imagine that many of the listeners will appreciate it.

Hopefully you'll strive to improve your sound, but I'll go ahead and give you a YES

The arrangement is really good IMO, with the notable exception of the huge stop before the choir voices came in. If the instruments all suddenly increased in volume before the stop it would have seemed like an exclamation mark rather than a drop off, and it would have been more effective. Also major clippiness around the 2.20-2.40 region.

Despite this, it is still very emotive, so therefore I give it a

YES

• 3 weeks later...

Classical ah... how I have missed thee

First Impressions:

Very nice start. But my man Isra is right. This is quite mechanical. I'm picturing in my head a full orchestra piloted by the robots that work at the Lexus factory line. Orchestra is rife with dynamic and tempo changes. Therein lies emotion, my friend.

Remember: part of your job as a mix'r is too keep your eye on the subtleties of your piece. Orchestra pieces especially. I might go so far as to say Orchestra pieces are hopelessly dependant upon their subtleties.

Lasting Impression:

Orchestra needs emotion. Emotion comes from change. By the transitive property, Orchestra needs change. For your next orchestral piece, do pay special attention to the dynamics, tempo, and overall "soul" of your piece. What are you trying to say with the song? What do you want the audience to feel? That sort of mushy crap.

I'm going to give it a half-assed No, which is a yes with too many reservations to quell my conscience.

Very stiff sequencing of piano. No velocity changes on chromatics. Much clipping on choral highs and percussion swells. The recording is unimpressive to say the least, which doesn't help acoustic instrumentation much.

As for the arrangement's development, I largely agree with Israfel's qualms. Where are the emotive undertones? The piece flows like a chainsaw through cement, and it's none too pretty. It sounds like a quantized symphony with full-stop interludes. I like the arrangement itself, but it really needs proper processing to sound like an organic overture instead of a hacking, wheezing toad of a conductor.

Give this the breath of live, it's dying over here. NO

I was kind of worried at first that this one wouldn't do much to the original, but my worries were put to rest. The arrangement here is stellar and, despite some clipping, the sounds and mastering are GREAT. I really like this. It does plenty to prevent it from being boring, and that's saying a lot coming from me when directed at an orchestral piece. One thing that kind of bothered me was that I could hear some of the loop points in stuff like the clarinet, but that's not major enough to sink this one. The arrangement really blows me away, though.

YES