OCR01865 - *YES* Doom 'Asphyxiated Soul' *RESUB*

Liontamer

Hi.

It's been a while, but I finally found the time to touch up Asphyxiated Soul, so here's my resubmission :).

Original info's still valid; see http://www.ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=16894

What's changed:

-New guitar sound (still nasty, in a different kind of way)

-New bass sound

-Thicker drum sound

-Thicker vocal sound in second verse

-Thicker mastering

-Those silly vocal samples in the intro are gone

-Intro is more ominous sounding

Kadmium

----------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.doom2.net/~doomdepot/music/doom%201%20&%202%20midis.zip - Doom: E1M8 (Sign of Evil)

Due the to new effects on this, the machine guns drums sounded poor this time around, IMO; sounded like a loud water sprinkler going off. :'-( The wall of sound seemed to crowd out the chorus vocals from 2:18-2:29, but it's a stylistic choice that I can live with.

Now, when the spoken word section talks about the best way to sever the head from the body, and the new effects affect the ability to understand what's being said, maybe that's not so bad. :lol: But honestly that could be tweaked a bit where the effects are still in place there, but the speech is a bit more easily identifiable. Could also be an EQing issue, as it seems like the spoken word stuff is kind of buzzing due to the low-end. I'd definitely appreciate other opinions there.

Otherwise, awesome as hell, and great job on fixing up the issues that was holding this back. I think for the moment I'm gonna go conditional, because some quick touchups would get this sounding its best, but it's not a big deal if there's no consensus. Jesse, awesome stuff, and welcome aboard finally! You've definitely brought something new to the table here that'll be hard to top.

YES (conditional)

I absolutely love the vibe here. Dark, whispering/speaking/growling vocals that aren't corny?! Awesome! You really pulled that off well. The head-skinning/decapitation thing is over the top, but in a good way (stylistically.) Also, I'm glad you didn't rely on just standard metal instrumentation for this, but skillfully filled out the texture.

My only complaint is that the guitar tends to be too loud. Simply turning it down ~2db or scooping the mids a little bit would probably balance it out. However, I don't have a problem with the drums, even the machine gun part, though my personal preference would have been to layer more electronic elements a la Nine Inch Nails to beef 'em up even more.

Overall, though the mixing is slightly off (IMO) this is a fantastic mix. The arrangement is very well-done, concept/structure are superb, and all performances are outstanding.

YES

• 4 weeks later...