OCR01781 - *YES* Chrono Trigger 'To Lost Epochs'

Liontamer

Hello all!

ReMixer name: CarnCarby

email: Valendia@gmail.com

website: http://www.gpwoodward.net/music/ (not actually my site)

Userid: 5730

Submission

Game: Chrono Trigger, with a hint of Chrono Cross

Songs: "Epilogue ~To Good Friends~", "To Far Away Times," and a tiny bit of "Arni Village~Home World~"

Comments:

Okay. So it's debatable whether the site needs another cheesy Chrono Trigger piano tune, but here it is anyway. I actually started on this by messing around with Earthbound's Sound Stone melody, and then due to the harmonic similarities it sort of bled over into CT's music. I don't really do much in this style, but these games -- and these songs in particular -- bring out the shameless sentimentalist in me, and I wanted to make my own arrangement to pay tribute to that. The piece was conceived as something of a reflection from years down the road; the opening uncertain and tinged with loss, moving into a more mature memory of simpler times, finally closing with satisfied acceptance. It became a fun project of wrapping themes around each other and seeing how they could fit together. I was reasonably pleased with how it came out, and thought I might submit it to the site to see if it can stand alongside some of the great stuff I love by bladiator, dhsu, klutz, and others.

Thanks for listening!

Ryan

---------------------------------------------------------------

http://snesmusic.org/v2/download.php?spcNow=ct - "Epilogue ~ To Good Friends" (ct-316.spc) & "To Far Away Times" (ct-317.spc)

http://tzone.org/~llin/psf/packs2/Chrono_Cross_psf.rar - 103 "Home Village Arni"

Yeah, definitely reminded me strongly of kLuTz's material, i.e. not a radical re-imagining, but it certainly gets the job done on the arrangement side. The ending cut off abruptly at 6:20 during the fadeout, which would have to be fixed.

The sampled piano really could have used some more post-production work to achieve better realism, because the piano just sounds extremely fake despite having a decent tone. Maybe another J can give some tips and we can get an improved version. It's not bad (I could roll with this as is), but it just could never pass for being a real piano, and I think guys like Dhsu (who cheats) and Bladiator (who's a cracker) get better results when they render their stuff.

Might get some differing POVs depending on how far the production bar has gone up, but I think the personalization of the arrangement and decent production was enough to carry this over the line. You weren't out to reinvent the wheel, but you didn't have to. Solid work, Ryan. Fix that ending.

YES

This is a delicate piece, and the long stretches of empty space make it nice background music. I really liked the ways the themes intertwined, and I think the writing in places is very inspired. Definitely not the most attention-grabbing arrangement but good for what it is.

The volume could definitely come up on this, and a touch more reverb might give it more space to fill the empty parts. I don't think the production is really a problem though, and the tone sounded ok. I enjoyed it as is.

YES

Not the most spastic arrangement around, and I admire that. A very Romantic feel with a bit of Jazz thrown in, well thought out and enough arrangement to make it interesting. Ending needs to be fix'd, as Larry pointed out.

The piano does sound a tad clanky and fake but not enough to make it a problem for me. Sure, we could ask for a new render with better samples but chances are we'll never get that. The people needs moar piano remixes for great justice. Instead, keep this issue in mind for your next submission.

To make it clear, my main issues with the piano sound was the general brightness, clickynes and lack of a fitting reverb.

Anyway, good to go. YES